When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961/62 SCHWINN Corvette custom 5 speed Klunker or back to orig? 49cm

-
Price
Payment Terms
paypal or m/o
Zipcode

LIFE OF SCHWINN

I live for the CABE
49cm or 19” frame with 31” standover
Custom built with Shimano 105 cranks, new BB, new BB adapter,
Araya 7x rims on Specialized sealed hubs, Shimano Crane derailleur,
Shimano shifter, Brooks saddle, new Origin8 cruiser bars/stem, new brakes,
new grips, new chain, new pedals and new cables. Ready to ride. I have
almost all the original 5 speed cruiser parts (pic 7). Calipers are on another bike (pic 8).
S7 rear would have to be built into 5 speed (pic10).
This was a very rare, 1 year bike. Pic 9 is 1962 advertisement. Built in ’61 for ’62.
I will sell all for $500 + actual ship as is or
$300 + actual ship with most of the original parts

61corv.JPG

61corv2.JPG

61corv3.JPG

61corv4.JPG

61corv5.JPG

61corv6.JPG

61corv7.JPG

61corv8.JPG

61corv9.JPG

61corv11.JPG

Last edited:
When I looked at those pictures earlier today on my iPhone, I couldn't verify that was originally a Corvette 5 speed. Flip phone pictures? I can see on my PC that it is an actual Corvette 5 speed frame, and it has the 1962 style cable guides. I presume the serial is a L151xxx or L152xxx number that was stamped on Nov. 27th. I own two and have 17 of those on my list with the majority of them that I could verify having a 1962 cast dated crank. The 1961 models started out with May 61 serial numbers and the 1961 models were available in July of 61. I'm curious what the stamping is on your crank and if you can post a picture of the serial number, I'll add this one to the Corvette 5 speed Registry.

I have potential buyer. He wants to know what the orig hub/derailleur/shifter was? I'm not really sure?, but I told him
possibly Huret or Sprint?
Does anyone know for sure?
GTs58 I'll get a pic of ser# soon. Do you know what the original parts were?

The rear hub is a low flange Atom, the freewheel is the Atom 15-25, shifter is Huret. The spoke protector is Huret. All with the special markings of that date and time. I believe I have pictures of everything. The derailleur is also the Huret that are the pretty unique to the Corvette and the 61 mid year Continental and 62 varsity

Last edited:
Thanks for the serial picture!

Here's the Corvette 5 Registry. Plenty of pictures but some have incorrect parts here and there.

Freewheel 15-25 Atom two slot. Stamping on the inside of the back indicates BSA threads.

Rear drive train. Correct Huret Allvit 4 prong derailleur for both 61 & 62 Corvettes. Small alloy spoke protector.

The shifter lever is Huret and Schwinn only lever texture in recess and T thumb screw.

Back