When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961/62 Schwinn help! Plz!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The Skipper and Buddy frames were bare bones stamped steel ends, their seat stay tubes dead end like a Fastback does and pickup again as the twin straight bar. Also bolt on kickstand.
My 1962 Typhoon 20" does have all welded joints and a welded kickstand. it also has two continuous tubes from the dropouts to the head tube, turning straight into the twin straight bar frame and join into the Head Tube
I should have mentioned 26”ers

As should i have also. I looked at some photos and the 26" Tornado nd similar bikes were better made than their 20" counterparts.

Was that Typhoon a 20" by chance? That sounds like a bad landing on a BMX conversion.....

No a 26"er. Somebody with some horsepower was jumping with it. It could have been built into anything, had chrome fenders on it when I got it white wheels painted black and forks are bent back. Not sure if I'm going to paint it or not but will be a rider shortly.

Well, after a couple months in the shop waiting to be blasted and epoxied, I finally got the Schwinn continuous bar back. And it's going together. After much welcomed and needed info from Cabers, (serial number late 1961) it was determined it's a Tornado. Pretty much keeping it like I found it, including the incorrect Persons seat (reupholstered). Although I do have an "almost" period correct Mesinger.... Found some appropriate grips and chain guard. It was originally red... Apparently they only came red or black. Kinda a Henry Ford thing...you can have any color you want as long as it's black... So I rattle canned it black... And decided on the larger brick tires.
I did find some fenders. Reading and staring at TONS of photos, I can't figure out which ones are correct. these Schwinn models came with either painted OR stainless....shorty front fender OR long... Any fender thoughts out there?? Still workin on fornt fender. Here's a few photos.
Thanks again everyone!

Got it all back together. It's not a completely original bike. Persons seat. And not sure it would have come from the factory with chrome fenders and white enameled rims. Also not exactly sure what the correct decals would be for this year and model. But it was really fun putting it back together. And I really like this particular frame. THANKS for all the help and input! And Gary, GTs58, thanks for the literature on this bike. Very helpful.
Thanks again!

Just to clear up some of the information, the tornado was the only one that had a continuous straight bar frame in the middle of 61
Quick question, since the November frames are usually built as next years model. Did they ever produce a straight bar Typhoon with a L1 or M1 serial number with a built in kickstand?

Quick question, since the November frames are usually built as next years model. Did they ever produce a straight bar Typhoon with a L1 or M1 serial number with a built in kickstand?

First off, the serial dates are not the frame dates. So I would have to believe that the 1962 continuous twin bar Typhoons built with a L1 or M1 stamped drop out would have the built-in stand.

They would have had to. The stamping number on the frame is not the build date of the bike. However, by then the frames were being built to 1962 specs.
My Typhoon is a little later at April 1962 but it has built in kickstand and originally had white rims and painted fenders.
It is 20" frame but still made as well as the 26" frame.

First off, the serial dates are not the frame dates. So I would have to believe that the 1962 continuous twin bar Typhoons built with a L1 or M1 stamped drop out would have the built-in stand.
They would have had to. The stamping number on the frame is not the build date of the bike. However, by then the frames were being built to 1962 specs.
My Typhoon is a little later at April 1962 but it has built in kickstand and originally had white rims and painted fenders.
It is 20" frame but still made as well as the 26" frame.
Im 100% with you guys on the serial number not being the built date. Just look at the Cruisers of the late 70s and early 80s. I have an LS serial number cruiser that would put it at November 1981 but badge says it was built 251st day of 1982. I was just curious if there where any t
TYPHOON straight bar frame with built in kickstand that wod have an L1 or M1 serial number

Back