When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Coppertone Continental Tourist

-
Solid or slotted pie plate?

Now, what's the difference between a wing nut and wing bolt?
e3f887ef79df2c8df9e817ae79d06e36.jpg

Depends on who you ask.

Just to claify, the rear wheel and freewheel are not original to the bike but were on it when I found it.

That is cool, that spoke protector matches the freewheel perfectly. Do you think that bike originally came with a 15-25T freewheel? According to the Aug. 1960 reporter issue listing all of the Continental and Varsity parts it says those were made by Prior.

Ok, I know some people are wing nuts, but I'm speaking about hardware. ;)

Those pie plates are beautiful! Looks like no oxidation at all.

The late 61 Conti came with the solid protector and 15-25t Atom. I hope Cody copied all my pictures after I did the clean up on mine and can post them.

Congrats on finding the early Huret derailleur and shifter parts. They are getting really hard to find in decent condition, and when they occasionally come up on Ebay they go for relatively big money. I've been looking for a set of the wing bolts for the shifters on my '64 Varsity, so far with no success.

GT, if I do have those pics they are stuck on my dead laptops HDD which ill retrieve one of these days.

I was lucky to find that front derailleur, even more so to have the proper clamp and find the correct shim.

Eric, I have set of wingBOLTS that are pretty crusty but will work in the meantime if your interested. Ill dig some more at the LBS next time I go and see what I can stur up if you want something with some shine to it. Let me know.

Eric, I have set of wingBOLTS that are pretty crusty but will work in the meantime if your interested. Ill dig some more at the LBS next time I go and see what I can stur up if you want something with some shine to it. Let me know.

Cody, I think I have a set of crusty ones. I would really like to find a pair of better ones that will look good on the bike.
If you happen to run across a set of good ones, I would love to buy them from you!

Cody, I think I have a set of crusty ones. I would really like to find a pair of better ones that will look good on the bike.
If you happen to run across a set of good ones, I would love to buy them from you!

I've had my eyes peeled looking for these kidney thumb screws since 2009. I've maybe seen three pair pass by on eBay. I wonder if that fake spray chrome would look good enough for these small items.

Back