When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Jaguar and a bit of a story to go with it.

-

drglinski

Finally riding a big boys bike
Most of you know my Schwinn history. For those of you that don't, I'll repeat part of it. I grew up with Schwinn bikes but never had one outside of a 20" Campus green Typhoon that us 4 kids learned on. Dad had his 10 speed 74 LeTour that he bought after college that was always present. Fast forward to 2007 when I graduated college I started cycling as a hobby; I found a decent 10 speed a thrift shop that I got into riding (I was tired of cheap Kmart mountain bikes). That served me OK until Dad told me about an estate auction where they were selling what turned out to be a 79 World Sport. I learned more about Schwinn bikes and remembered the bikes that were in the barn at my grandparents farm (on my dads side). Dad told me about his Typhoon that he had in college and I told him I was going to get it. "Why?" 'To ride it.' I got a perplexed look but he said OK. From the day I brought it home I fell in love with Middleweight bikes.

I found a bike forum shortly after and discovered Schwinndemoniums photo of his 1961 Jaguar.

Jim's photo.jpg

I asked him if he'd ever be interested in selling it to keep me in mind. I jokingly asked him on and off for the past 12ish years where my bike was, thinking there might be a chance someday, but wasn't too optimistic. The call finally came last December (of 2021) that Jim was willing to part with it. We set a date for the week of Easter 2022 for a road trip to the Lancaster PA area as he would not ship. (I didn't want the bike to be shipped either.)

After a very long winter, my wife, daughter and I loaded up a rental mini van and set off from SE MI to PA for an 8 hour 500 mile trip. Traveling through northern Ohio turned out to be the biggest challenge: it snowed and caused black ice throughout the majority of the state. In April, go figure. I dropped my wife and daughter off at our rental home for a week (we decided to make a week trip out of it) and set off for Jim's home. We did some story telling, some history chatting, and traded some cash for a bike I had been hoping to make my own for more than a decade. It was great to meet Jim and Phil; Jim knows just about everything Mark IV Jaguar. I felt privileged to continue his legacy of caring for his red Jaguar.

-at our rental house in PA-

PA 1.jpg

PA 2.jpg

PA porch rental house.jpg

PA rental house.jpg

My family spent some time exploring the area traveling to Hershey and Strasburg for a day before needing to travel back home yesterday. I was glad that we had rented the mini van as the Jaguar rode comfortably upright out of the elements in the center of said vehicle. No bad weather on the way home this time thankfully. We all had a great time exploring the eastern PA area for a few days and had a great piece of history to take from it.

-at home in my basement-

basment brought home.jpg

More to come!

Yesterday it was 80 (too hot!!) and it gave me a good chance to give it a go over and see what it needs if anything.

Up first: Fantastik on the grips.

I wish they would be color matched like the later middleweights but I suppose they match the whitewall wheels that way.

Up next: a new chrome chain and some light driveline cleaning.

Changed out the valve caps.

It rides pretty good. Wheels are nice and true. I'll need to do a full lubrication of it sooner than later(two speed brakes squeal like a semi truck) if I want to keep riding it regularly, but for now, I like it. The crash rail seat looks sweet but MAN is it an ass hatchet!

Yesterday it was 80 (too hot!!) and it gave me a good chance to give it a go over and see what it needs if anything.

View attachment 1613670

Up first: Fantastik on the grips. View attachment 1613664

View attachment 1613663

I wish they would be color matched like the later middleweights but I suppose they match the whitewall wheels that way.

Up next: a new chrome chain and some light driveline cleaning.

View attachment 1613666

View attachment 1613668
Changed out the valve caps.

View attachment 1613661

View attachment 1613662

View attachment 1613667

View attachment 1613669

It rides pretty good. Wheels are nice and true. I'll need to do a full lubrication of it sooner than later(two speed brakes squeal like a semi truck) if I want to keep riding it regularly, but for now, I like it. The crash rail seat looks sweet but MAN is it an ass hatchet!
Great post and awesome bike. Those seats are sweet looking but yes at time they can be a butt buster. No one would ever blame you for a seat change. Gotta be comfortable. I would suggest a Persons diamond cruiser seat a more then acceptable replacement and you can keep the original a put it back on any time you like.

Great post and awesome bike. Those seats are sweet looking but yes at time they can be a butt buster. No one would ever blame you for a seat change. Gotta be comfortable. I would suggest a Persons diamond cruiser seat a more then acceptable replacement and you can keep the original a put it back on any time you like.

I'm thinking of another seat post with a red S mesinger from a lightweight (with the continual springs under it) vs the metal pan seats. That way I can have a softer saddle while riding yet still look somewhat period correct and keep the ass hatchet for shows. I'm hoping I can find a decent one at Monroe this weekend but experience has told me the red ones are somewhat difficult to find.

Hey man, its a cool bike and it is yours. Put a set of color mached grips on it and put the white ones with the original seat for showing it.
The bike will look like it should and the white grips will have less wear and tear.

Hey man, its a cool bike and it is yours. Put a set of color mached grips on it and put the white ones with the original seat for showing it.
The bike will look like it should and the white grips will have less wear and tear.
I thought about it, but this bike has been a factory purist for years, and I think I'm going to keep it that way (at least for now). I have other bikes I have slightly customized for my liking and I kind of want one that is what would have been available to purchase off a Schwinn dealers floor. I'm not even that big on white walls but plan to keep them on this one. I think I have modified it to the extent that I'm going to with the flag valve caps and chrome chain.

thanks for the suggestions and the reply.

Back