When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Jaguar MK IV

-

Tim the Skid

Skidding on my '41 Schwinn Autocycle
I sold three bikes at the Turlock Swap Meet and didn't think I would buy any. But I couldn't pass on this black Jaguar MK IV. Original paint, two speed kickback hub, most of the original parts. I think the headlight is an aftermarket piece. I just got home from California, I'll start the teardown in the next couple days.
IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4709.JPG

IMG_4710.JPG

IMG_4711.JPG

IMG_4712.JPG

IMG_4707.JPG

Looks like the original owner got kewelly creative there! That "Wompin' Wagon" graphic on the speedometer face is a decal that came with an AMT 1/25th scale 1955 Chevy Nomad 3 in one plastic model kit that was issued around 1965, and this was one of the decals used for the drag racing version of the car. I absolutely love it. The nostalgia!!

With that said, about the headlight, that is an aftermarket, but it does look period correct. Chances are that is is a modern reproduction unit, though. The bike is correct minus the Delta Roadliter headlight. That is all it needs to be absolutely all there and correct.

AMT Wompin Wagon kit from the 1960's.jpg

Last edited:
@Schwinndemonium Thanks for the input, Jim! I appreciate your knowledge on these bikes. Like @GTs58 said I work mostly with balloon tire Schwinns. I recognized the "Wompin Wagon" decals on the speedometer face. My buddies and I used to decorate our bikes with the waterslide decals that came in model kits and baseball cards. Good to know I just need a headlight for the Jag. Other than that and the aftermarket tires it looks to be almost all original parts.

@Schwinndemonium Thanks for the input, Jim! I appreciate your knowledge on these bikes. Like @GTs58 said I work mostly with balloon tire Schwinns. I recognized the "Wompin Wagon" decals on the speedometer face. My buddies and I used to decorate our bikes with the waterslide decals that came in model kits and baseball cards. Good to know I just need a headlight for the Jag. Other than that and the aftermarket tires it looks to be almost all original parts.
Looks like the rat got the cheese! And part of the trap! Do you have a replacement part for your rat trap front carrier?

Back