1961 Monark build thread

Discussion in 'Middleweight Bicycles' started by partsguy, May 27, 2011.

1. #1 Posted May 27, 2011

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!

Well, I finally got around to this thing this past weekend. I plan to just do some minor work. Knock some dents out of the front fender, chaingaurd, clean it up, possibly replace that awful seat. Its very comfy, but looks silly on this bike, but maybe it might grow on me. :confused: The paint looks a bit faded in some areas,so I might buff it too. Well, I have delayed posting pics of the progress and I'm almost stopped dead in my tracks now. You'll see why:

The night I bought it:
    031-1.jpg
    032-1.jpg
    030-1.jpg

First, the dents! I should probably find a fender roller, but I haven't screwed up a fender yet! The front fender did have a light, if anyone knows what kind maybe I should be looking for, that would be great!
    004-1.jpg
    005-1.jpg
    006-1.jpg

Straighten this out:
    007-1.jpg

Now to get him on my work stand and take him apart...
    009-1.jpg

2. #2 Posted May 27, 2011

This has to be the CLEANEST tank I have taken apart to date!
    010-1.jpg
    011-1.jpg

After some wrangling, some gentle work, and saturation of Liquid Wrench, I manage to BREAK THE THE FRICKING FENDER SCREW! The head just snapped right off! The threads are STUCK in the fork and I DON'T have anything to grab onto. HELP!
    012-1.jpg
    013-1.jpg

I had a similar problem on a taillight for a '64 T-Bird and I got a special drill bit fom the harware store to the get the crew out-and it failed miserably. The bit disintegrated itself! Ona Hawhtorne I was parting out, I did manage to get the parts off with a regular drill bit but the screws were still stuck in the frame at the time of it's demise. HELP!

I'll have to work around it I suppose. So onto the dents...
    014-1.jpg
    015-1.jpg
    016-1.jpg
    017-1.jpg

Progress:
    018-1.jpg
    019-1.jpg

3. #3 Posted May 27, 2011

I'll finish it later, most of the dents are gone, but there some details I need to do later. I now move on to the fender. The fender is pretty much done except for some small pings in it:
    020-1.jpg
    021-1.jpg
    022-1.jpg
    023-1.jpg
    024-1.jpg

More to come later!

4. #4 Posted May 27, 2011

Finally riding a big boys bike

If that were my bike, which it is not,(a very nice one at that, though), I would remove the fork completely from the frame. Then I would rethread the steer tube lock nut back on. Then I would clamp it by the steer tube in a solidly mounted bench vise in between the fork crown, and the steer tub lock nut vertically. That way you do not squash the steer tube threads out of round at the top of the tube. Then take a hardened drill bit, and drill it out. Even if you have to go oversize, you could still retap the hole, and put a larger bolt in it, then.

OR you could try soaking it with Kroil for a couple of days, and try to tap it out, if the surface on the broken end of the bolt stub is uneven enough that you could use a very small awl, or fine chisel, to tap the thing out counterclockwise.

Alot of work, but you will save that very nice fork!!

Just my two cents.

Jim.

#4 Schwinndemonium, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  5. #5 Posted May 27, 2011

Oh, no doubt! This thing will come out one way or another. Thanks for the advice!

6. #6 Posted May 28, 2011

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

Sometimes you can size a drill bit to the diameter of the bolt, not counting the threads. Then use a tap, and it may clean out the threads.

7. #7 Posted Jun 3, 2011

I'm now down to the bare frame and washing it down and cleaning it up. I've got a question on the seat decal and how to preserve it. Please see my thread in Restoration Tips for more details.

8. #8 Posted Jun 29, 2011

Well, I keep putting off the trip to Huber Heights to get some Dr. Dronners soap (only Target has it).

I tried to remove the busted screw from the fork, but I busted drill bits trying. I'm about to screw it (no pun intended) and take it to a machine shop!

For now, (yesterday really) I'm moving onto the wheels. First, I started with removing the front hub guts.
    001-1.jpg
    0041-1.jpg
    002-3.jpg

Anybody got a spare bleeder screw for a Komet Super?
    003-2.jpg

0051-1.jpg

I felt something weird and I noticed something. The previous owner to ride this had way overtightened the bearings and they got scored and shredded! Nothing is ever as easy as it seems!
    0061-1.jpg
    0071-1.jpg

9. #9 Posted Jul 4, 2011

Nice Monark. Here's a couple of mine.

P1310008-1.jpg

100_1106-1.jpg

Oilit likes this.
  10. #10 Posted Jul 12, 2011

I've been busy finishing my Eagle Scout-which gets priority over everything else. My copier is working as a I type. I need to oil this dumb chair today, everytime I bend over to get the next thing, it creaks like an old door!

I have made progress. I found some Dr. Bronners soap at Target and the decal is looking awesome and is about done. The frame will then be ready to polich and I can start to reassemble it. I'm almost done washing the bearings and hardware, and most of the body work on the fenders and chaingaurd are done. I have given up on the fork as I have destroyed enough drill bits. I hate doing this, I rarely do it and I only do it with wheel truing, but I need to outsource this one to somebody with the proper tools before I really screw it up. If the fork wasn't so nice, I wouldn't mind taking a gamble.

11. #11 Posted Jul 12, 2011

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

just start with a small drill bit and go biget till u get it drilled out with ut hurting the threads then pick the pieces out of the thereds i don it a million times on the fork bolts then re thread the hule with a thread chaser works every time or a thread tap
    chucksoldbikes

12. #12 Posted Jul 12, 2011

Well I'm done busting drill bits. I tried that.

After my bits broke, the cord my drill also frayed and now the drill works whe it wants to. So its either a new cord or a new drill. So, this summer, I've managed to snap nearly all of my smaller drill bits, frayed te cord on the drill, busted 3 flat head screw drivers (one was my mistake, one was a jewelers and it chipped, the other I forget). I remember a wrench last summer flexing from a bicycle pedal. My junkyard toolbox is ready for the junkyard itself, my wire strippers are shot from scrapping wires, I think Its just time for a whole new fleet of tools at this rate.

I think some of my sockets are even stripping out.

#12 partsguy, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  13. #13 Posted Jul 12, 2011

Oh, and last fall, one of our soldering guns died.

I'm not buying more of these special drill bits. They have not worked on this fork, nor have they worked on that tail light bucket a few years ago.

Just to be clear, I'm NOT replacing the fork, I'm only looking for a machine shop.

Why doesn't anything ever some apart easy in this hobby? LMAO!

#13 partsguy, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  14. #14 Posted Aug 31, 2011

Been a LONG TIME time to post more pics!

Well, I have been working on and off of this bike for the last couple of months. After I found the Dr. Bronner's soap and got the decal cleaned, it sat...and sat....and sat. All until my Eagle stuff was finally all in and done. :eek: It sat from most of June and July. This month has been tied up in house renovations, car cleaning (Oh Lord, did it NEED IT!), and.....preparing for college. That is why this bike WILL be done by next week (with or without the wheel truing), so help me! If it is done, then it is one less distraction. ;) I've finally got it in high gear! I'm now down to my favorite part of the game...putting it all back together! I also love buffing the paint, yes, it is labor intensive at times, but seeing that old and fadded red turn to it's bright, gloss, cherry red color was worth every last bit of sweat. :p

Here are the pics that have been backed up for weeks...

First, unreleased disassembly pics:

Tear down:
    046.jpg
    047.jpg
    048.jpg
    049.jpg

This ugly seat is gonna go!
    050.jpg

053.jpg
    054.jpg

15. #15 Posted Aug 31, 2011

055.jpg
    056.jpg

In my shed for body work:
    051.jpg
    052.jpg

Taking the wheels apart:
    IMG_0143.jpg
    009-1.jpg

These things always look like part of a missle or maybe a jet engine-they just look odd to me.
    013-1.jpg

This second round of pics is from cleaning:

First, the careful and delicate cleaning of the seat tube decal. It turned out rather nice and I'm impressed. I probably will not clear coat it...for now. It seems to be very stable-so long as I don't try the dish soap again! :eek: Sorry, some of these are taken with a shotty Canon-I've gone back to Kodak!

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

16. #16 Posted Aug 31, 2011

IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0059.jpg

Getting there:
    IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg

Next comes the daunting task of cleaning-THE RIMS! :eek: Each and every last spoke, nipple, and spot of paint must be as thoroughly has possible, but not so much that it takes off paint, with pinstriping in the way, this was very tricky!
    IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg

Washing mud off the tank:
    IMG_0124.jpg

17. #17 Posted Sep 1, 2011

IMG_0125.jpg

Now for more current pics:

The rear rim was finally done, not bad. The hub works great!
    IMG_01272.jpg
    IMG_01112.jpg
    IMG_01292.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg

Since the cord on my drill had a break in it somewhere, I busted two drill bits, and I want this thing mostly done by next week, I decided to outsource this repair. I found a machine shop called "T & W Tool Machine" literally on the other side of the tracks, not far away. They did the repair for free as it was simple and the fork looks and threads like brand new. This could have taken me forever but they got it drilled out and rethreaded correctly in minutes.
    IMG_0152.jpg

These fender braces needed a little work-LOL! It just took some heat, a flat metal surface, a hammer, a punch, my small Vise Grips, and a set of pliers.

What I started with on the rear fender:
    IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg

Almost there...
    IMG_0150.jpg

Gotcha!
    IMG_0151.jpg

18. #18 Posted Sep 1, 2011

Old, faded, dull, and surface rust red paint was on the bikes, but after some buffing and polishing, here is where I'm at.

The worst spots on the rear fender:
    IMG_01332.jpg
    IMG_01342.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

After:
    IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0143-1.jpg

Worst areas on the front fender:
    IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg

Not bad:
    IMG_0159.jpg

Even hardware is polished-a little perfectionist, yes?
    IMG_0161.jpg

19. #19 Posted Sep 1, 2011

The fork is all cleaned up.

IMG_0162.jpg
    144_0153.jpg

Got the frame done!
    144_0157.jpg

Now I'm getting him all back together! This is where I stopped last night. I felt the headset was a good stopping point.
    144_0169.jpg

#19 partsguy, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  20. #20 Posted Sep 2, 2011

Well yesterday, I accomplished little, and today, NOTHING! Yesterday, a simple errand to a garage sale, which mentioned old bikes (I was thinking PARTS!), turned out to be a big disappointment. When they said "old" they meant rusty 10yr old Wal-Mart bikes. All used up and crusher-ready. It was also a bit of a distraction. I ran into a friend of mine and well, since we are going to college in less than a week, we took advantage of this time to have fun. We went junkyarding at the end of the day, and this is where I got sick. Hence, why I didn't get anything done today. My typical picking grounds was our last stop. I got one heck of an allergy attack from the ragweed, which is rare for me. I got a headache so bad it hurt to simply bend over. A throat so sore it felt like I swallowed my propane torch. I'm feeling much better. But tomorrow, I'm going to booking double time to make up for the time I had lost. I'm now almost two days behind. Tomorrow, I need to have my front wheel COMPLETELY cleaned and polished, front bearings repacked, chainring, crank, and bearings/hardware all cleaned, washed and polished, and have a time set up with a local bike shop to get my wheels trued. If I don't do all this, then I'm behind schedule again. I want to have this whole thing done, less the missing mystery item on my front fender, correct seat, and picking up my wheels from the shop. Because installing those parts takes 30min. or less, which I can afford to do. I'm hoping to be at that stage by Monday! That way, I can put anymore un-finished projects up for sale and get them out of here. By Thursday, whatever happens, happens. My beloved Silver Jets will end up parked and others will be up for sale!

I'm doing most of the work in my basement because of all the dang mosquitos! I get eaten alive! So now that I have the luxury of a dry basement, I take full advantage of it. If anybody is wondering, the stuff my shelves is for sale ;). Those shelves were used for my HotWheels collection back at the old place. The shelf with the vacuum still has a couple of i.d. tags from the cars.