When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 schwinn american value

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Big Moe

I live for the CABE
Found this for sale. Thinking about buying it for a rider. How much would y'all pay for it. Thanks Big Moe

received_421537201585919.jpeg

received_438091380032418.jpeg

I was in Walmart tonight to buy a few Auto related items and saw what a Chinese made girls cruiser cost. Nice shiny spokes and wheels, baskets, comfy seat and slick paint. I'll top that bikes sales price and say $150-$175 for the American. Don't wanna go to high, the seller needs to quit smoking and littering up his yard with butts.
lol.gif

The bike does look like it will clean up real nice and the 2 speed is a plus.

I have a 63 with 2 speed and chrome fenders I bought and have about $110 into. Great rider, bought to sell but keeping. Anything under $300 and you'll be happy if it rides like mine.

Where did you come up with the 1961 date. According to Schwinn, the American was brought back in 1962 after having been off the spectrum since 1957. Tindley's catalog pages substantiate this. Just curious.

Here's copy and paste from Bike History dot Org

1962 Schwinn American
This year the American model came back into the Schwinn line-up - it had been missing from the catalogs for a few years - The checker board seat post decal was now replaced by a new design and the model was offered in many new "versions" as detailed below from their sale brocure for that year...

While I have read what was posted in regard to the year and production of the American, I have to respectfully disagree with the statement regarding no production until '62.

The American was available in '61, and I own one of them. Ours is a 20" model A31 frame and fork I bought and stashed away until a couple of years ago when it was returned to rideable, though not returned completely to it's original appearance.
Here is the 1961 price list showing the bike as available: http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1961_1970/1961.html

Photo of the 20" '61 American that lives here - before:
D140538 A.jpg

00110.jpg

And after:
0498.jpg

This bike was rebuilt using original Schwinn made parts - including the tires, retaining its "American" status

REC
EDIT: Forgot to add my thought on the 26" price - I'd go with the top end of $250 for the black one.

Last edited:
The American was absent from any lists or catalogs for only 2 years, 1959 and 60. It was not pictured in the 1961 consumer catalog but it was on the mid year's (August) 1961 price list. Possible reason for it not being pictured in the 61 catalog is it could have been re-introduced sometime early mid year 61.

Back