When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Schwinn Corvette 5 Speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
G

Geeeyejo

Picked up this 61 original 5 speed Corvette on Ebay - was a little pricey at $500 + Shipping but was basically all there and this model is as rare as hen's teeth (pardon the old pun). Even better, bike was built 3 days after I was born - 7/28/61 - had to have this one. The original paint is pretty shot - some light rust and many scratches and all the brightwork was covered with a good layer of rust. The plan is to repaint entire frame, new decals and clean rest of components. Had the bike a little over a week and here is the progress:
Disassembled entire bike to bare frame - removed surface rust to clean metal on rear frame legs and will chemically strip balance of frame next.
Removed all rust on rims, crank sprocket, crank, derailleur, pedals, handlebars, neck, seatpost clamp. Fenders are stainless and will need some small dent removal and polishing.
Restored entire base of seat - replaced springs, crash rail, painted carriage - will look to touch up vinyl cover but it looks pretty good now.
Chainguard is pretty shot - picked up identical guard from 61 middleweight - will paint and have acquired correct Schwinn Corvette and 5 speed flag decals
Here are the before pics:

Attachments

• vette 4.jpg
    vette 4.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Vette 6.jpg
    Vette 6.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 237
  • Vette 8.jpg
    Vette 8.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 272
  • Vette 9.jpg
    Vette 9.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 224
  • Vette 10.jpg
    Vette 10.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 223
More pics

Here is the original side view and one of the restored seat and original Huret Derailleur

Attachments

• Vette 1.jpg
    Vette 1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 271
  • Derailleur Clean.jpg
    Derailleur Clean.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Seat Clean.jpg
    Seat Clean.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 212
nice score

i recently picked up a red '61 corvette 5 speed.missing the huret derailleur and original chainguard,but a rider.found a red corvette guard and sunburst headbadge this last weekend at sacramento swap meet.can't wait to see the progress on your bike.jeff,AKA pedalnostalgia on here has a beautiful blue 5 speed and knows alot about them.

Attachments

• HPIM0140 (WinCE).JPG
    HPIM0140 (WinCE).JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 199
y'all I still ride my 61 corvette 5-speed (all orig) i bought it to deliver the san jose mercury news...easy ridin'

Thanks guys - I have seen Jeff's pics on the Schwinn site - his 5 Speed Vette (as well as his other bikes!) is really sweet. This is the first "frame off" resto I have attempted - so far so good, the frame is down to bare metal and plan on primer, multiple coats of lacquer then clear coat - should be sweet coupled with new decals, the cleaned up original brightwork and other components!

Update

Been working on the bike a little each night - I obtained all of the decals and went with a Rustoleum primer/black lacquer/Clearcoat laquer. Figured I would play with the chainguard first - original was pretty bad with a gouges and bad chrome - I picked up an identical pink guard from a 61 girl's middleweight, stripped it and primed, sanded then 4 coats of black lacquer, decals and then clearcoat - looks pretty good IMHO - thinking of a few more coats as I can see the edge of the decal. Frame was sanded with 60 grit, cleaned with rubbing alcohol and now sits with a fresh coat of prime awaiting paint. Real happy with this so far - I grinded any surface rust and seems super smooth now after just primer.

Attachments

• primed frame.jpg
    primed frame.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 210
  • new chainguard.jpg
    new chainguard.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 209
  • old chainguard.jpg
    old chainguard.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 183
Geeeyejo, What a great project, congrats. You are moving along with the restoration quite well and thanks for sharing with the pictures and progress its fun to watch. Jeff

Back