When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Schwinn Panther III and the saga of the stem!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

schwinnbikebobb

I live for the CABE
Another one that got the backburner due to a stuck stem. (see saga below). I bought this from the daughter of the original owner about 6 years ago. Not minty but pretty nice. A Oct 24 61 serial number/frame stamp. I do like this era Panthers. I was too young but this model would have been the bike I wanted as a kid. I would have wanted green as a kid but a black Panther seems appropriate. Goes nicely with my Panther fleet. Another one I am glad to get done.

This stem was the worst combination. Deep in the fork, stem bolt sheared off. Took me a week to finally get it out. Tried it all Kroil, (both holes) heat ,cold, hammer, impact wrench, slide hammer, BIG pipe wrench, even tried something new a bottle jack to try and press it out. Still would not budge. Had the hacksaw out ready to cut it off. Thought I would give it one last try and it moved a mm. An hour later it was spinning 360 but still not coming out. Another hour with a 2 pound engineers hammer and I was able to drive it out. No more stuck stems for me.

002 (2).JPG

001 (2).JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

Last edited:
On a nice well-preserved example like that, it's hard to believe the stem was welded in like that. 😱 Was the stem the original forged piece?

I agree on the stem GT. But it was deep in there. I have to believe it was the original forged one since nothing else was not original. I don't recall but I assume I broke the bolt.

Back