When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Speedster with chrome S2's??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Gordon

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Just acquired a 1961 Speedster. Owner says his father pulled it from a dump 50 years ago. The bike has chrome S2 wheels. I was expecting S7. Are the S2's correct?

I believe you are correct in that a ‘61 Speedster would have been a middleweight. Are the tires 26 x 1.75, or balloon? Either way, I’m curious to see a pic / how they fit.

The original tires are long gone and the replacements are 26 x 1.75. It looks like 2.125 might fit, but I wouldn't know without trying.

It could have had the chain-guard swapped ?? Looks like plenty of room for 2.125's

It's possible that's a Wasp which was the only Balloon model made at that time and someone swapped out the guard. Gordon will have to check the frame to see if it's a middleweight or balloon frame.

It's possible that's a Wasp which was the only Balloon model made at that time and someone swapped out the guard. Gordon will have to check the frame to see if it's a middleweight or balloon frame.
I measured the frame this morning and it is definately a middle weight.

This 1961 Speedster had a non-OE rear wheel when I picked it up, but the front rim was S7 with a scripted Schwinn hub. Most of what was on it was trashed, except the chainguard, crankset and frame. It rides quite nicely.
20220401_163755.jpg

Someone tried telling me that the Speedster was always a diamond frame and this one cropped up a few days later. I had to have it.

Back