When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Walthour & Hood Catalog - Huffy, Dayton and Raleigh Bicycles

-
Took some digging...yes, there is a family connection to Bobby Walthour and his brother.

Bobby’s older brother, Palmer had moved to Atlanta in 1885 and worked for the W. D. Alexander Bicycle Co. He went on to be the co-founder and president of Walthour & Hood (a sporting goods store with a specialty in bicycles) in Atlanta.

https://coastalcourier.com/zhidden-...ists/liberty-produced-world-champion-cyclist/
Took some digging is right! But it's an interesting article. Thanks for posting the link!

Revisiting this since I found the chain guard at last. It just occurred to me there is not even a speed model for a Dayton in 1961. Mine is optioned like the Huffy F-85, original front caliper brake and everything. Interesting.

I really just have to figure out how the tank was painted and the seat tube decal. There’s barely enough left to make out anything.

Revisiting this since I found the chain guard at last. It just occurred to me there is not even a speed model for a Dayton in 1961. Mine is optioned like the Huffy F-85, original front caliper brake and everything. Interesting.

I really just have to figure out how the tank was painted and the seat tube decal. There’s barely enough left to make out anything.
I saw this a while back and you reminded me. This ad was in the Oct. 1960 American Bicyclist and Motorcyclist. It says the Dayton Bicycle is distributed exclusively by the Walthour and Hood Company, so their catalogs and advertisements may be the only place you'll see these bikes. Does anybody know how long they carried this line?

W&H Snip.PNG

And I looked up the Rogers Street address in the ad, and from Google Maps Street View, it looks like the building is still there. Or at least this building could be from the '60's. Does anyone know when W&H closed?

W&H D.C..PNG

Last edited:
I saw this a while back and you reminded me. This ad was in the Oct. 1960 American Bicyclist and Motorcyclist. It says the Dayton Bicycle is distributed exclusively by the Walthour and Hood Company, so their catalogs and advertisements may be the only place you'll see these bikes. Does anybody know how long they carried this line?

View attachment 1188648

Beautiful ad! The latest I know of is 1966. It was a catalog in a collection of stuff on eBay years ago. I didn’t have the money at the time and I was outbid. The collection went for hundreds.

I can’t imagine Dayton going much longer than that because Huffy was starting to go full on department store, Huffy brand name and all by the 70’s. They weren’t hiding anything. This meant their days in bicycle shops and specialty catalogs were coming to a close.

And I looked up the Rogers Street address in the ad, and from Google Maps Street View, it looks like the building is still there. Or at least this building could be from the '60's. Does anyone know when W&H closed?

View attachment 1188652
I know I was buying from W&H in Beaufort, SC in 1980...pretty sure they made it into the mid-80s.

Here is a 1983 Takara ad mentioning them as distributors.
1589796915082.png

Last edited:
Back