When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 American Kingsize

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I've not seen that one either. Around 1961 (and probably 1962) there are enough variations of Schwinn and Schwinn Approved front hubs it can drive you a bit nuts. I am no expert on this subject, far from it, but there are old threads here you can do the deep dive in if you want. I believe at least 3 different axle threads are possible in 1961, just in low flange 5/16"-ish axle front hubs. Never mind cones.
default_ph34r.png
In the past people here have been advised to replace the whole hub just to get an axle and cones. Some of these are German. For a Schwinn American, which I believe they brought back in 62, they would have had to source an American hub and they had been using a bunch of European ones. The good news is since it was made in USA, it is probably sort of standard somehow even in it isn't any Schwinn standard. I wouldn't rule out Wald. I am like a dog with a bone when it comes to stuff like this and probably wouldn't stop until I had identified and replaced the parts. I can't argue that makes any sense, but there it is. Replacing the hub is probably the easiest way.

Last edited:
I always thought that the American had the Schwinn Script front hub unless it was the HD. Then it would be a Bendix?

I've not see that one either. Around 1961 (and probably 1962) there are enough variations of Schwinn and Schwinn Approved front hubs it can drive you a bit nuts. I am no expert on this subject, far from it, but there are old threads here you can do the deep dive in if you want. I believe at least 3 different axle threads are possible in 1961, just in low flange 5/16"-ish axle front hubs. Never mind cones.View attachment 1663800 In the past people here have been advised to replace the whole hub just to get an axle and cones. Some of these are German. For a Schwinn American, which I believe they brought back in 62, they would have had to source an American hub and they had been using a bunch of European ones. The good news is since it was made in USA, it is probably sort of standard somehow even in it isn't any Schwinn standard. I wouldn't rule out Wald. I am like a dog with a bone when it comes to stuff like this and probably wouldn't stop until I had identified and replaced the parts. I can't argue that makes any sense, but there it is. Replacing the hub is probably the easiest way.
Wow. Awesome input. Thank you. I started the ball rolling on a complete replacement front hub, just to be safe. I found one reasonably priced and fairly similar, so with the same flange diameter. With any luck, I may be able to plug in the bearings and seals and get rolling. Worst case scenario, I'll lace in the new hub.

The wheelset was a generous additional perk free of charge w/ the purchase of this frameset, so I don't mind at all doing a little extra legwork to get this contraption rolling.

In other news, I dug in to the bendix red band earlier today and that thing is rock solid. Just needed some fresh green grease and it's gtg.

I always thought that the American had the Schwinn Script front hub unless it was the HD. Then it would be a Bendix?
Any more info on a Bendix front hub specific to '62? I have been thinking I'd like to go HD w the wheelset. 12 gauge spokes look badass.

Any more info on a Bendix front hub specific to '62? I have been thinking I'd like to go HD w the wheelset. 12 gauge spokes look badass.
The Americans with 14 ga spokes all used the Schwinn script hub found on the Corvettes and mid-higher end models. The Union hub (200) was on the budget models, fleet, Spitfire etc..

Here's a NOS piece for sale, but the American didn't use these.

In little bits over the last week I've leveled the rusty spots & polished the paint. I put in temp bearings & axle in the front wheel and rebuilt the coaster hub. It rides great. Next, I'm looking into a heavier duty Mesinger 7000. And hope to heavy-duty-up that S-7 wheelset. Definitely havent settled on a handlebar yet. Love those chubby tires

PXL_20220728_223542661.jpg

PXL_20220728_223636231.jpg

PXL_20220728_223729910.jpg

In little bits over the last week I've leveled the rusty spots & polished the paint. I put in temp bearings & axle in the front wheel and rebuilt the coaster hub. It rides great. Next, I'm looking into a heavier duty Mesinger 7000. And hope to heavy-duty-up that S-7 wheelset. Definitely havent settled on a handlebar yet. Love those chubby tires

View attachment 1671033

View attachment 1671044

View attachment 1671051
Black patina really is the most stunning patina color in my opinion. It ages with real beauty!

Back