When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Fleet

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PD Monkey

Look Ma, No Hands!
My first post here! I just picked up a 1962 Fleet. This is my first vintage bike. I doubt I will fully restore it but I would like to clean it up and ride it. I am sure I will have lots of questions here as I dig into it. Right now I would like to find a chain guard, rear rack and better seat. At some point, tear it down and repaint to an original color, probably Red. It rides pretty good now but is missing a few spokes on both wheels. The seat is crap, I don't even think it is a Schwinn.

How do I tell if the other parts are original? Like the bars, stem, wheels, etc.?

IMG_2003.jpg

Welcome. It's a Mesinger seat that was used on some cruisers but not a Fleet. I would just clean it up, service it and enjoy. Someone else painted it. Wheels look original, pedals are not. It's not a model that a restoration would change value that much. It can be a nice rider, maybe find a used rack and guard. Enjoy

Welcome to the Cabe, what does the badge say? The sprocket looks schwinn but I'm on expert, I'm sure others will chime in with answers. If you get into a full resto you will have alot more into it than it's worth. Post more pics as you clean it up. It might be a middleweight American. I just noticed a 3 speed rod sticking out of the rear axle.

Definitely not doing a full resto. I live in San Diego so I will probably clean it up a little and make a boardwalk cruiser out of it. I knew it was a low ceiling type bike. It was fairly inexpensive and seemed like a good bike to get my toe wet before jumping all the way in.

Here's the catalog image if you haven't seen it yet. Looks like someone also changed the stem and bars but that's cool. The front fender top brace has been replaced, notice how long the flat is before it meets the fender.

1668132539032.png

Nice Schwinn! As a fan and consumer of many big black Mesinger saddles, I say keep it. Infinitely more comfortable than the tiny stock "S" seat (likely also Mesinger-sourced), and more durable than most plastic-bodied import seats currently available. As @phantom says, they were standard issue on many other Schwinn models.

These are my three Fleets - 20, 24, and 36" sizes. mostly original pant -(searched out old black ones!) - Love 'em!!! ,64 26" model

62 26" Model

64 24" Model
64 L20-6 Fleet 24.JPG

And the 64 20" Size
1668151867838.jpeg

REC

Back