When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Legnano

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikerbluz

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am excited about this Legnano because of the story behind it, the age , and overall complete condition of it. It is a 1962 Model 53 Mezza Corsa. This particular model seems to be fairly rare in this country. This bike was a one owner. The gentleman whom purchased it new lived in San Francisco during the 1960’s and bought it while on a trip to Canada with friends. The original owner resided in the Haight Ashbury district and was a poet, hanging out with the pranksters and fellow artists. The bike is nearly 100% original. I just replaced the original bar tape. It still has the original Pirrelli Stella tires, Legnano branded hubs, pedals, crankset,and gaslo handlebar end caps. The original brake cables are looking pretty rough but I have not been able to find a source for that Legnano green cable housing. It has Campangolo equipment and a Way Assauto four speed freewheel.

7ADFEE2F-211A-4D9A-85FB-C0907DE8E57A.jpeg

B836967D-B690-4A57-B5FF-DEC4E840DE03.jpeg

9CAEE163-FAB5-4EA1-B218-DCCD278C3C0F.jpeg

2BACADA7-FAB1-4648-9EF2-6F8228757EB7.jpeg

6F89E328-6408-4FD5-9E2A-D316074649B0.jpeg

959120C1-108F-488D-8C99-0DB12646B50C.jpeg

@bikerbluz Yokozuna "Legnano green" housing, texture might be different. I have never needed it (never had a Legnano), but the color is a good match. I will check a couple Italian suppliers I use and see if they have any OE housing stashed away, or know of another source.

You can probably replace the cables and save the original housings. Take them off, run the original cables back and forth for a while using wd-40 to polish off any surface rust and goop in the interior.Keep flushing the insides out with WD-40. It's cheap! You can also thread in some longer new or used cable through to get more of a back and forth scrubbing action. Hold one cable end in a vise and slide the housing back and forth. When it slides easily. grease up the inside. Chainsaw bar oil is kind of sticky and lasts for a long time. Or use grease and hair drier to liquify it until it drips out of the bottom end. Then its time for new (or the old) cables. I'd recommend new! I used to do this all the time when I was flipping dumpster and under $10.00 English Racers when I was in school.

Hey Andrew, thanks for all of the great information. Unfortunately I did most of that already. The problem is the coverings of the housings are brittle and are splitting and coming off. I even tried gluing the split pieces back on, to no avail. Cables actually work, just looking pretty poorly.

You should take a look at Porkchop BMX for cables & housing. They carry lots of colors.

Thanks Jesper, I really appreciate that.
I took a closer look (better glasses!) at your housings and I think the texture of the Yokozuna housing is the same. I know they make stuff for Italian restoration purposes as I have used some of their product before. It is internally lined for improved performance over period correct NOS housings.

Last edited:
Thanks Jesper. I pulled them up too, and you are right, they look identical to me. Seems a little confusing as to where to order them from? I think I will order from the Soma website today. Do you recall as to what site you may have used? The main site even suggests that you order from another site. Most sites that seem to carry that color are outside of the US, with Soma being on the west coast.

Back