When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Schwinn Racer With Front Wheel Generator----How Rare?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Goldenrod

I live for the CABE
Number--J255479 or 1962. Rear brake has 62 also.
While I was in the third grade (my birthday-- March, 1953), I was sent out in the hallway for talking. I got caught out there in my Cub Scout uniform by the superintendent. Most of the teachers were relatives of mine or my parents friends. I peed in my pants. Mr Neehas didn't notice and brought me into the classroom. Everyone laughed and then I sat down. Holly Hearth turned around and said, "They shouldn't have done that to you." I was in love. She took that risk (of talking) to make me feel better.

I started teaching school sixteen years later, I met the superintendent when he observed me for my certification. He asked if I was the Spangler who wet my Cub uniform. He was sorry during all those years and apologized but it was a lesson that made me a more compassionate teacher. Holly was smart, talented and cute but her kind nature caused her to have many bad breaks with needy men and she died five years ago. She was the best in our class for 12 years and then as an adult.
I bought this bike for the generator and I have never seen one since. Is it rare?

Last edited:
Number--J255479 puts in March of 1953. Rear brake has 53 also.
While I was in the third grade (my birthday-- March, 1953), I was sent out in the hallway for talking. I got caught out there in my Cub Scout uniform by the superintendent. Most of the teachers were relatives of mine or my parents friends. I peed in my pants. Mr Neehas didn't notice and brought me into the classroom. Everyone laughed and then I sat down. Holly Hearth turned around and said, "They shouldn't have done that to you." I was in love. She took that risk (of talking) to make me feel better. View attachment 1110509

View attachment 1110508

View attachment 1110507

View attachment 1110506

I started teaching school sixteen years later, I met the superintendent when he observed me for my certification. He asked if I was the Spangler who wet my Cub uniform. He was sorry during all those years and apologized but it was a lesson that made me a more compassionate teacher. Holly was smart, talented and cute but her kind nature caused her to have many bad breaks with needy men and she died five years ago. She was the best in our class for 12 years and then as an adult.
I bought this bike for the generator and I have never seen one since. Is it rare?
You have a beautiful Schwinn. The generator is a unique part. Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays!

Beautiful bike, great find! Everyone seems to have at least one seminal story of elementary school disaster and humiliation and like you mine was in 3rd grade. Poured my heart out to a girl in a letter and left it at her desk. She turned it into the teacher who held it up and asked who had written it. My mom was an elementary school teacher in another district but well known to all my teachers. I held up my hand, it had my name on it after all. (we also wore our Cubscout uniforms to school, and on picture day) This was about 1966, the girls name was Susan and about 15 years ago I became friends with a guy who makes his living as a professional magician, ventriloquist, juggling pirate called Captain Jack Spareribs. He and I were chatting at a gig we were appearing at and talking about our childhoods in Silicon Valley. Turned out his wife was Susans younger sister Lisa. I told him the story of the love letter and we laughed. He told me his story of proposing in the park at the school. Life long friend, and Ace is the best magician and ventriloquist I've ever seen live and up close.:laughing:

Is there a name on the generator?

Sturmey Archer

Dynohub

The GH6 version produced a rated output of 6 V, 0.33 A (2 W) from a 20-pole ring magnet with a stator having a continuous winding. Original headlamp bulbs are 6 V, 0.25 A (1.5 W) (e.g., CRY5) and a rear bulb of 6 V 0.04A (0.24W) (e.g., CRY8). This is different from a modern standard bicycle dynamo, though replacements can still be obtained.[6] Common substitutions are the modern standard 2.4 W headlamp bulb and a tail lamp bulb of 0.6 W. One rider reports much more light with a 6.3 V, 0.25 A (1.6 W) type 40 bulb.[7] LED conversions are possible and will output a much brighter light than incandescent or halogen bulbs, though the LED alternatives require the fitting of a voltage regulator and will strobe 10 times per wheel revolution if not fitted with a capacitor or rectifier to smooth the AC current output from the Dynohub.

Rated output was reached at around 20 km/h (12 mph), a rotational speed of approximately 60 rpm. The name dynamo implies DC output, but as usual with bicycle dynamos (known as generators in North America), output was in fact alternating current.

Dynohubs were offered as front hubs and as rear geared hubs. The AG was an AW three-speed rear hub with inbuilt dynamo, while the FG was a dynamo similarly combined with an FW four-speed. An SG 'Super-Wide' three-speed Dynohub was planned between 1954 and 1960, but never produced. An FG hub can be converted to have 5 gears using the same methods of modification as would be used for an FW to enable individually selectable sun gears.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for the good/bad news with an update, and would like to hear a cool story from from this time! ;)

The serial has six digits, not five, so this Racer is a 1962 model. The serial number was stamped on 09/25/1962------------------ J254828 ------------------- J257647

I wouldn't call a Dynohub rare, but not many Schwinns were optioned with this extra cost accessory. The generator light kits with the frame or fork mounted genny was the norm.

Now for the good/bad news with an update, and would like to hear a cool story from from this time! ;)

The serial has six digits, not five, so this Racer is a 1962 model. The serial number was stamped on 09/25/1962------------------ J254828 ------------------- J257647

I wouldn't call a Dynohub rare, but not many Schwinns were optioned with this extra cost accessory. The generator light kits with the frame or fork mounted genny was the norm.
Thanks Gary, you saved me a couple steps. Definitely not a '53. I thought we debunked that in the last post about this bike. The racer didn't even exist in '53. The saddle style, the decal lettering style, the fork style, the rims, the grips are all early 60s.

I think someone swapped some older parts on the bike. That miller headlight is a 50s headlight.

Still a nice condition bike, although nothing about the bike is rare, not even the condition, they pop up all the time. I have a '60, 23" model just like it.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

Now that's a classic looking Schwinn to my eyes(I'm partial to the "Lightweights").
Years ago I saw a pic on another forum of a Paramount done up with this paint & decal scheme. It was beautiful IMO. It had the chromed head lugs, fork ends, and stay ends of course. Unfortunately I didn't save the photo. I'd like to do one of those myself some day.

Back