When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Schwinn Superior and Continental bikes.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

John Gialanella

Finally riding a big boys bike
I bought a 1962 Schwinn Continental about 6 years ago. It is in very nice condition, very few nicks in the paint. Almost everything is in great shape. But I was wondering about the handle bar tape. In the 1962 Catalog it shows the Superior and Continental bikes with white tape. Mine has Coppertone handle bar tape to match the color of the bike. I have also seen Superior bikes with matching handle bar tape like that Violet one on forums. which is correct the white tape or the matching color tape.
Thanks John.

I was 10 years old when the Schwinns first came out with the color matching Flexon bar tape. I hung out at the local Hobby Shop and then the Schwinn shop just looking at all the new bikes and cool stuff they had. I purchased a new 1964 Lime Varsity at the beginning of Summer and that was the year the color matching Flexon bar tape came out. During this time all the high end 10 speeds on the Dealers show room floor, Superiors, Paramounts, Sierras, Super Sports all had white cotton bar tape installed by the Dealer and at the time I purchased my 64 the Dealer had a Red 1963 Varsity on the floor and it also had the white cotton bar tape.

The color matching flexon bar tape was introduced on the 1964 models and all the prior years had white cotton wrap. Bars were all wrapped by the Dealer when assembled and it seems that our local Dealer preferred the white cotton wrap on the higher end 1964 models even though most were shown in the catalog images having color matching tape. Since the Flexon tape could be purchased over the counter during this time I'd guess that many redid their earlier road bikes with the Flexon when they needed to redo their tape. Here's a recreation I put together in 2010 of my childhood 1964 Varsity.

Thanks, I guess many owners took the white tape off and added the color matching tape. I am glad that I bought white handle bar tape a few years ago. About the only thing on my 1962 Continental that is worn is the Coppertone bar tape. I like both, but since the one on the bike is waring i will install the white tape. Very nice Varsity. Just one more question, my continental has only a few chips in the paint, not down to metal. I bought on E-Bay paint that said it was for another bike, but was Coppertone. It is a little too dark. Is there anywhere where I can get the correct color touchup paint for my bike.
John.

coppertone for Sting rays. But it is a little darker then coppertone

Any touch up paint will not match. Even if you had some of the original paint that was actually shot on the bike, it will not match. All old paint will have to be hand tinted to match the current condition of the existing paint. Coppertone, Radiant Coppertone or any other "name" it's called is one of the worst colors to match. I have a 1962 and 1964 Continental along with a 1965 Varsity in Coppertone and all three are very different in color.

Back