When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Schwinn Typhoon 20" Pig Bike

-
Thanks, I appreciate the likes and comments! I may give that idea a chance. I do have a picture in my mind. Back then, as I know from growing up in the 1960s-1970s kids were big into colors, the brighter the better.

Plasticote Metallic Red is almost an exact match for Flamboyant Red, you have to get right up on the frame within a foot or so before you can see any difference in the metallic content. I didn't want to go that route only because I am a pain in the ass that way. Once I get a picture of something in my mind it is really hard to let go of it, and my picture was original paint. Not enough paint left on that picture.

I also considered House of Kolor Candy Red over their Silver Aluminum base, but that requires breaking out paint guns and I am not quite ready for that much work yet.

My sister, who was 14 months younger than I just died December 26th originally diagnosed with Pneumonia. When she started looking worse it magically became Coronavirus 2019. I use the medical name not because I am smarter than anyone, it is because if people didn't have abbreviations or acronyms for everything perhaps it would be less catchy to drop them on everyone's heads like bird poop on June 21st (family joke, that's my birthday. It happend to me on my 5th one).

I have Pneumonia right now and this is a bad time for that. Everyone, including most doctors and hospitals refuse to acknowledge any illnesses but Coronavirus 2019 so they can chalk up another statistic, and I have never been an average statistic. That and I get Pneumonia every so many years and I am overdue. I almost died from it in 1988 and I was told I would keep getting it until I either died or it killed me so when I get it all I can do now is take a vitamin pack I came up with containing at least 1000 ui Vitamin B complex, 2000 ui Vitamin C, 1000 ui Vitamin D and 1000 ui Vitamin E along with Benadryl, a combination of Ibuprofen/Acetaminophen/Caffeine which is basically Goodys Headache Powder in tablet form, Prednisone and Amoxicillin or Azithromycin when I have it.
That used to only blow a little bad air in my room, but now that I am stuck halfway between 61 and 62 years old and already blessed with the excellent Health Cocktails I get monthly from my Best Friend M.D. it is like I became a pill junkie without any of the possible enjoyable side effects.
Your lucky that you get to pick and choose your meds. Being i have type II diabetes i'm not so lucky that way.. Be well, stay safe and Covid BE DAMNED!!!

Your lucky that you get to pick and choose your meds. Being i have type II diabetes i'm not so lucky that way.. Be well, stay safe and Covid BE DAMNED!!!
Sorry to hear that man. I hope you can at least have some say in it.
One of my friends daughter's has severe allergies so bad that she cannot whisper into an ear of corn. Seriously.
The only pain killer she can take is TramaDol.
At the top of pain killers I hate because I was on them for years. Then I tried to quit, that's when I found how addictive they are. That is the only thing I was ever addicted to in my life.
I can take Hydrocodone and quit even after months, but TramaDol I cannot. Sucks because it worked so well. But that is just me maybe I don't know.

I haven't made much progress, except I did purchase a rear Sturmey Archer 3 speed drum hub for a 36 hole rim from a guy in England.
It needs some cleaning but it should fit right in.
Somewhere here I have a Sturmey Archer 4 speed complete hub, I may swap the assembly into the drum hub, as I have checked and it will fit.
I may buy a 3 speed cluster that was popular in the 1950s when derailleurs only shifted 2 or 3 gears. I can make up a 3x3 or 3x4 axle giving me 9 or 12 speeds without a front derailleur or double sprockets.
I may have a second rear unit and 28 hole front Dynohub. I will know next week. Looking at the set, the rear drum has holes just like a Dynohub. I am about 90% certain the drum hub and Dynohub are the same without the Dyno parts riveted in. I could convert the front Dynohub to a Drum brake hub. I don't need to but I hate using both my spare 36 hole S-2 rims on this bike. We will see.
I found a nice bare 36 hole front drum hub, but I need a 32 or 40 hole I can buy reasonable for the backing plate and axle parts. As you can tell I am still working out the front hub.
I think I may take my frame to a friend with a sandblasting shop unless I can build a hopper booth large enough for a bike frame soon.

Thanks for the likes and comments!
I am working night and day on ways to make this project more expensive and time consuming.
I may use an old Delta, Big Beam or Eveready flashlight, the metal ones from the 1950s-1960s with the metal body and battery box with the 6 volt battery and the red signal light to make a homemade headlamp/taillamp.
I am going to use a chrome AS seat clamp with the D shaped head on the bolt, and maybe a Cycletruck gooseneck to elevate the bars to the desired level.
I may go with a (reproduction) Indian headbadge instead of the Schwinn Phantom badge I originally thought of.
The more I think of the more time and money it will take to build and that is my creed. No buck left unspent.

I bought a Delta Seal beam flashlight with the flashing red light on the back handle. I picked this one over the BigBeam, Eveready Big Jim, Ray-o-Vac Hunter and some others because this one has a slight protusion in the ring on the front light that makes it look like a real headlight. And yes it is the same company that makes the Delta headlights we all love from the beginning of bike headlights at least to the 1980s.
Screenshot_20220124-123629_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20220124-123620_eBay.jpg

I also bought a red bicycle license plate dated 61-62 from the exotic town of Watertown Wisconsin.
Sure it isn't LA or Daytona, but it is part of the most fertile and productive areas of the country, The Great Midwest.
A lot of manufacturing was based in the Midwest including several top bicycle manufacturers like Schwinn, Murray Huffy AMF and originally Pope which became Columbia. A lot of smaller manufacturers originated in the Midwest as well.
So before you dis Watertown, remember that if it wasn't for the Midwest we would all be on here polishing and comparing our boots and athletic shoes.
Screenshot_20220124-123550_eBay.jpg

I am awaiting this Sturmey Archer Three Speed Drum Brake Hub as well.
I plan to put the 3 gear cluster on it, making it a 9 speed with no front derailleur.
It is actually newer than I wanted but it is still the same exact hub they have produced since the first of these rolled off the line so it is good enough for me.
Screenshot_20220124-123726_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20220124-123714_eBay.jpg

I still need a front hub and would prefer a 28 spoke so I can use a 20x1-3/8 S5-6 style wheel. I want the narrowest tire I can have on the front so I can be assured of having no directional control when I am going fast around a corner on gravel.
I can buy an English 20x1-1/4 36 hole rim but I an too cheap to pay for it to be shipped from Greece I guess. I have a spoke station from an old bike shop I cleaned out full of spokes so it isn't like I have a shortage of spokes.
More later. Rob

Last edited:
I bought a Delta Seal beam flashlight with the flashing red light on the back handle. I picked this one over the BigBeam, Eveready Big Jim, Ray-o-Vac Hunter and some others because this one has a slight protusion in the ring on the front light that makes it look like a real headlight. And yes it is the same company that makes the Delta headlights we all love from the beginning of bike headlights at least to the 1980s.
View attachment 1555485

View attachment 1555486

I also bought a red bicycle license plate dated 61-62 from the exotic town of Watertown Wisconsin.
Sure it isn't LA or Daytona, but it is part of the most fertile and productive areas of the country, The Great Midwest.
A lot of manufacturing was based in the Midwest including several top bicycle manufacturers like Schwinn, Murray Huffy AMF and originally Pope which became Columbia. A lot of smaller manufacturers originated in the Midwest as well.
So before you dis Waterton, remember that if it wasn't for the Midwest we would all be on here polishing and comparing our boots and athletic shoes.
View attachment 1555487

I am awaiting this Sturmey Archer Three Speed Drum Brake Hub as well.
I plan to put the 3 gear cluster on it, making it a 9 speed with no front derailleur.
It is actually newer than I wanted but it is still the same exact hub they have produced since the first of these rolled off the line so it is good enough for me.
View attachment 1555488

View attachment 1555489

I still need a front hub and would prefer a 28 spoke so I can use a 20x1-3/8 S5-6 style wheel. I want the narrowest tire I can have on the front so I can be assured of having no directional control when I am going fast around a corner on gravel.
I can buy an English 20x1-1/4 36 hole rim but I an too cheap to pay for it to be shipped from Greece I guess. I have a spoke station from an old bike shop I cleaned out full of spokes so it isn't like I have a shortage of spokes.
More later. Rob
Waterton? Never been there, but iv'e been to Watertown lots of times.. I'm really diggin on your Delta Flashlight.. Haven't seen one of those in years.. My Grandpa had one when he was a Highway Patrolman for Grant county which is were i was born .. Good stuff Maynard..

Waterton? Never been there, but iv'e been to Watertown lots of times.. I'm really diggin on your Delta Flashlight.. Haven't seen one of those in years.. My Grandpa had one when he was a Highway Patrolman for Grant county which is were i was born .. Good stuff Maynard..
That was spellcheck again, I guess my proofreading skills are slipping away with the rest of my mind. I fixed it. It was right the first time though.
I am taking the flashlight apart and mounting the front light as a headlight with wiring running back to the battery mounting location. The red light will probably stay on the battery plate. It flashes, kinda like a lot of the new bike taillights.
Thanks man.

I dug a pair of tires out of my pile that I believe will be perfect for the wheels I have in mind.
For the rear S-2 wheel I have a blackwall Carlisle Lightning Dart 20x2.125 tire that was NOS when I got it along with a pile of tires from a bike shop I used to go to in high school.
The front will have an S-5 wheel, so I found an NOS Carlisle Ribgripper tire to do the deed.
I have been looking at tires for a month now and I had them all along. I think the Indian Heads on the rear tire are awesome!
No photos tonite, but I will take a couple photos in the afternoon today.
Rob

Back