When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Schwinn Typhoon 20" Pig Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Well after setting up my tires to photograph I determined that the Lightning Dart is probably not NOS after all. I don't care, it is still good enough to use on the bike. Just doing full disclosure here.

The Ribgripper is NOS though, it still has a sticker on one side with the price I believe.
The odd thing (I thought) was that it only has writing on one side. I see that on newer tires but I don't recall the older tires being like that.

20220126_092625.jpg

20220126_092635.jpg

20220126_092752.jpg

20220126_092658.jpg

20220126_092711.jpg

20220126_092721.jpg

Today my reproduction Red Teardrop Schwinn Script grips came in the mail, they look nice enough with the seat to make me say OK.
The Delta flashlight I bought to make the headlight and taillight from made it to about 15 miles of my house. Then USPS decided it needed to go all the way back to the sorting center about 55 miles away so it can finish its 2022 Midwest Tour.
If I get lucky it may show up tomorrow so it can sit in my shop for a month or so until I do something with it, like move it somewhere safer and lose it permanently.
USPS loses or delays at least 15% of everything I buy.
I am just glad I get tracking numbers so I can watch my purchases get lost in real time.
Photos of the grips and light tomorrow. Or whenever the light shows up.
I plan to purchase a 10ft piece of 5/8" OD stainless tube and have it bent into a Troxel style sissybar for the Solo Polo. If I do not find someone to bend it I will pack it with sand and do it myself. I also have vinyl to make a full length sissybar pad to match the seat.
I am actually getting close to having enough parts to assemble most of it.
I saw an instructional here on how to buff out crappy paint like mine.
I already knew how, but it never occurred to me to get a smaller air buffer or use my air angle grinder with a pressure regulator to slow it down. I was picturing buffing it with my 7" buffer and that was going to be more work than painting it.
I really want to save the paint if I can. I do not care about the scratches and chips but the awful fading and haze was too much for me to handle with the nice parts I have for it. Now there is hope once again.
That's all for now. Back again tomorrow for another thrilling journey through the twisting corridors and cluttered chambers of my wandering mind.

I forgot there are a couple photos of the Delta light on page 2 of this rant. So tomorrow I will post nice photos of the grips and seat laid out together. The colors are not a perfect match but I believe they will go well together.

I have changed my direction on handlebars. I got thinking and when the smoke from my brain frying cleared I realized this is a 1962 bike.
The era of using the Longhorn Bars was over and kids moved on to motorcycle handlebars so they started using the new chopper style Apehanger Bars.
I found a set of 1960s vintage Apehangers I had in some old Triumph parts and they are perfect other than needing a shim welded to the center for the handlebar stem to clamp to properly. They are similar to the original Wald wide Stingray bars except they are wider and the top bends are longer than bicycle handlebars. This will not look like I stuck a set of Stingray bars on it!
I will take a couple photos to update this change tomorrow.

I also fitted the rear 3 speed Drum brake hub to the frame and will show that as well.

I just realized tomorrow never comes. And the cardinal rule I live by.
Do not do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
So I waited until a couple minutes ago to make the last post.

Now it is today (again) and I am posting the post I should wait until tomorrow to post.
Oh well, what the hey!

My frame with the Sturmey-Archer hub. I didn't use anything but my hands to spread it, but I think I will go a tiny bit of a spread to make it slip fit. It took 3 men and a baby to wiggle it in and I do not want to beat it to death once it is done.
20220217_083041.jpg

20220217_083057.jpg

20220217_083110.jpg

The set of 60s motorcycle chopper handlebars I plan to use on the Schwinn springer.

20220217_083145.jpg

20220217_083155.jpg

They are almost identical to the wide Wald bars except the pullback is a lot less and the bars after the top bend where the grips go are longer. I like that, leaned forward they are good for wheelies!
Now I am where I should be on my posts. Unfortunately I broke my own rule.
I didn't put off till tomorrow what I could do today.

I may use that hub on another bike. I have a chance to buy a 4 speed drum hub.
One member here tried to bring me to my senses by telling me (and probably rightly so) that this bike doesn't need as many speeds as I am planning. I want to use a 3 cog Cyclo cluster made for the S/A internal gear hubs, with a vintage derailleur Anda homemade twin Stikk Shifft assembly. With the 4 speed hub that is 12 speeds.

I probably do not need a 500 hp small block Chevy engine to power a 1500 lb street rod either but the facts never stopped me from doing what I know better than to do.

More on that after March 1st.
Rob

Last edited:
I just realized I never posted the photos of the handlebars and grips together for your viewing displeasure. I will do that later today since I put it off at least a couple tomorrows.

I also have the flashlight and have, in an unprecedented move for me dismantled it into 3 pieces before I lose it. The headlamp part, the battery mount plate and the taillamp part. I may use that to hide a 6 volt AGM battery like emergency lights use.
I have some chrome sheet metal probably about 1/16" thick I am going to bend into a battery box and use the battery mount plate without the handle as the top.

Only one question.
When is later today?

Last edited:
I just realized tomorrow never comes. And the cardinal rule I live by.
Do not do today what you can put off til tomorrow.
So I waited until a couple minutes ago to make the last post.

Now it is today (again) and I am posting the post I should wait until tomorrow to post.
Oh well, what the hey!

My frame with the Sturmey-Archer hub. I didn't use anything but my hands to spread it, but I think I will go a tiny bit of a spread to make it slip fit. It took 3 men and a baby to wiggle it in and I do not want to beat it to death once it is done.
View attachment 1571845

View attachment 1571846

View attachment 1571847

The set of 60s motorcycle chopper handlebars I plan to use on the Schwinn springer.

View attachment 1571848

View attachment 1571849

They are almost identical to the wide Wald bars except the pullback is a lot less and the bars after the top bend where the grips go are longer. I like that, leaned forward they are good for wheelies!
Now I am where I should be on my posts. Unfortunately I broke my own rule.
I didn't put off till tomorrow what I could do today.
Hey Rob, I went shopping today after my visit to the VA and found a nice pair of Fastback bars and a brand new solo polo for my 66 Ray project.. Looking good so far.. RideOnn.. Razin.. P.S, I LOVE that frame too..

It is still today, so here they are! The photos of the seat and grips are finally posted for everyone to look at, shake their heads and tell their children "See, this is what happens from years of psychedelic drug abuse".
Seriously though, my friends promised me this wouldn't happen!
20220217_112318.jpg

I know the colors are not exactly the same but I think they will work out great once everything is clean and assembled.
The colors man. The colors.
What a long, strange trip it's been!
Rob

Back