When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Super Continental - or somethin'

-
This bike's a keeper for me, but changes are afoot. Happy Holidays CABE!

Happy Holidays to you and yours. 🎄

Here's my 1962 Conti that someone converted from a Tourist model to a Sport model. The bow pedals were replaced with 1966 Union Schwinn rat traps, tourist bars swapped with a nice alloy drop set but they left the tourist brake levers and stem. The third crank ring was added making it a 15 speed like the Super Continental. The rear drivetrain is all original as is all the Huret equipment. The original mattress saddle was changed to a nice asshatchet piece with copper rivets. I would have preferred all the original Tourist equipment less the fenders though.

Yes, lovely. It was the first or second thread I saw when I searched for Continentals! The value to the bicycle community that you and other long-time bicycle advocates bring is much appreciated. Thanks.

You're second photo, showing the mag style chainwheel also shows the little ferrule resting against cable guide on the down tube. These are associated with Sprint shifters that were used beginning with the 1964 model year. This leads me to think that the bike is a '64 or later model. What is the serial number?
Save that little ferrule. They are often lost when when folks replace the shifter cables and it's hard to find replacements for them.

You're second photo, showing the mag style chainwheel also shows the little ferrule resting against cable guide on the down tube. These are associated with Sprint shifters that were used beginning with the 1964 model year. This leads me to think that the bike is a '64 or later model. What is the serial number?
Save that little ferrule. They are often lost when when folks replace the shifter cables and it's hard to find replacements for them.
Yes, saved all the little bits with photos of where they were as found!
Serial is
IMG_9724.JPG

Perfect! That is a very good stem. Nitto made some of the best. Just make sure the handlebar clamp diameter is 25.4. Some road stems can be 26.0

These older Schwinn lightweights take the standard 22.2mm quill, giving you wider choice of stems. Later bikes (circa 1971) take the smaller 21.1mm diameter

Back