When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Super Continental - or somethin'

-
The title to this thread may have been a little misleading. The Continental here is not a Super Continental so it would be a 10 speed. The continental‘s never used a Brooks saddle. Offhand I think it was the super sport that had the B-15.
Yes I think you are right. My 1962 Continental originally came with a French saddle Ideal #43. It was in bad shape when I bought the bike,so I put an NOS Brooks B-17 on it. The rest of the bike in in very nice shape. It is hard to believe it is 60 years old.

This won't be popular with some folks but I don't plan on restoring "Groovy". I like the way it looks. What I would like is for it to ride well, shift well, stop well.
I have a set of gold Ukai 700c wheels from an old Fuji, I've already installed the Truvativ Am-Eur BMX converter because I like the square tapered cranksets that are available. I have Shimano Xage 300 LX f&r derailleurs but don't like how they look on the bike. Also have a Deore crankset (I have the other rings) Just bought NOS Suntour VX rear derailleur and have two Suntour front derailleurs I'm considering and stem-mount shifters. I'm new at this will certainly make mistakes along the way. But that's part of the learning process.
I am appreciative of all of the combined experience and wisdom the CABE offers to us nubes.
View attachment 1757206
Ahhh! My eyes!
Seriously, enjoy.

Last edited:
My original 61 Continental my brother in law bought new and pic is me about 68, had a all chrome fork & center pull brakes, the second pic is the bike today but that's a whole othe story, the 62 I bought a little while back has 1/2 chrome fork & side pull brakes.

1671948260002.jpeg

Last edited:
I've always operated under the principle of "It's your bike, do with it what makes you happy".
If these were serious collector bikes worth thousands of dollars, it might be a different story, but they're not.

Happy New Year!

So far...
NOS Suntour VX rear
Deore crankset off an old Fuji
Tektro long reach calliper
Suntour Accushift indexed
Nice 90's foamy grips of a Marin
Nitto stem off of the Fuji
Ukai rims

Paint didn't clean up as nicely as I had hoped, just rubbing compound at this point.

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg
IMG_0503.jpg
IMG_0504.jpg
IMG_0506.jpg

You must be a really short fella?😂. Looks like all the cables are run, how did she do on the stop and go? Can you get that chain to jump up on that big ring, looks like a mile jump. Looking good!

Good eye, GT. Nope, can't quite make the jump to the big ring but I'm working on that. One of the things I love about this process is coming up with new ideas on how to achieve your end goal. I've decided that the Nitto stem I put on is too nice for this rat bike, same with the Deore crankset. I'm going to try a few different things to see how they shake out. Those tires were a test (studded snow tires) to see if I could squeeze 35's onto this frame. They fit but the ride without any snow on the ground is.... not pleasant. Onward!

On second thought, if you are going to use this as a regular rider, I would replace the AVA stem with a vintage SR or Nitto for safety reasons. I don't trust vintage French stems for regular use. Keep the AVA on the side in case you sell it in the future and the buyer wants the original parts
Doc, ever since I read your comment on AVA stem I keep picturing someone snapping off the horiz section and impaling themselves on the vertical.
Am I close?

Back