When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 typhoon question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Gavin LaMay

'Lil Knee Scuffer
So I recently acquired a 62’ typhoon with the double straight bar that’s seized everywhere and the paint is pretty darn rough haha so I think I wanna have some fun with it. I wanna take some other parts and age them to match the bike. My real question is... will a normal unaltered straight bar tank fit the double straight bar typhoon frame? I don’t wanna buy one then come to find it doesn’t t fit lol

A Deluxe Tornado or Flying Star from mid-late? '61 used the same frame as your Typhoon. I believe they had tanks,I know for certain these models with the old style frame had tanks but don't know if they would fit your frame. These bikes seem to be scarce but might be a source. Good luck.

Last edited:
If your Typhoon is the one that I’m thinking of, then NO, a regular Hornet type straightbar tank will NOT fit in your frame.
The Deluxe Tornado mentioned above, had a separation between the twin straightbars and the seat stays, that allowed for the use of the Hornet style tank.

If your Typhoon is the one that I’m thinking of, then NO, a regular Hornet type straightbar tank will NOT fit in your frame.
The Deluxe Tornado mentioned above, had a separation between the twin straightbars and the seat stays, that allowed for the use of the Hornet style tank.
So,They DID NOT make a Deluxe Tornado with ‘62 style frame? Wouldnt surprise me to learn they used 2 different frames for the same model

Last edited:
Is the one you’re thinking of?

image.jpg

Yes, that’s the one I’m thinking of.
I’m not saying, that there wasn’t any other models with that type of frame, but the 1960 Deluxe Tornado that I had, was equipped with a Hornet type straightbar tank, and the frame was made with the twin straightbars separated, at the seatstay union, so that the lower bars could be spaced to fit the tank.

Yes, that’s the one I’m thinking of.
I’m not saying, that there wasn’t any other models with that type of frame, but the 1960 Deluxe Tornado that I had, was equipped with a Hornet type straightbar tank, and the frame was made with the twin straightbars separated, at the seatstay union, so that the lower bars could be spaced to fit the tank.
Ah well thanks for the info haha

I have your 1962 Typhoon; also, I Have a '62 or '63 Fleet with the faux Slim-line tank. Tank is ~16.5" long. I believe THAT tank or the Slim-line tank with horn could be mounted in your frame...

A tank off a 61 Flying Star might fit. Twin straight bar but not continuous.

1560997367043.png

These continuous frames had bigger 9/16 tubes and the back is very narrow.. early tanks wont fit but as said above you can fit a slimline tank, never seen it done though..but have to weld on hanging tabs to hold it

20190627_224306.jpg

Back