When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Columbia Newsboy

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ffjmoore

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello, Im restoring a bike that my father in law used in the 60s as a paper boy. I pulled it out of his moms shed and have torn it apart in the last few days. Most things are going along fine but i have a few questions that i hoped this forum could help me solve.

The Bike
IMAG01121-1.jpg

That night
IMAG01151-1.jpg

Some parts, rusty, and missing the middle bar on the rack
IMAG01161-1.jpg

IMAG01181-1.jpg

IMAG0122-1.jpg

Kickstand is broke. It just spins free from the little cam that it should be locked to. Guess it was just pressed on? Anybody got one?
IMAG01191-1.jpg

Blasted some parts.
IMAG0135-1.jpg

It looks like the wheels are salvageable. Not sure if re using the old spokes is a good idea but they seem to be 10 gauge and i cant find any replacements. So if i cant save them or if any brake during disassembly then i gues ill just have to buy some $40 wheels off ebay. :(
Thats one problem.

Last edited:
The other problem is the seat. Its a troxel. The crash bar is riveted on but one of the rivets is pulling out. I want to take it apart so i can chrome the crash bar and repair the set pan but im afraid i cant find the right rivets to put it back together.
IMAG0137-1.jpg

IMAG0136-1.jpg

the front spring also broke but i have a new one on the way.
IMAG0130-1.jpg

Thats it for the last 2 days. The bike has to be done by the 20th of Feb so It should go fast. Any help is greatly appreciated. Going to drop the frame off at the blaster today if i can get the cranks off.

Got the crank off and the frame is out to be sand blasted. Started taking the front wheel apart and broke 1 spoke. Im searching for a new set. They seem to be 10 gauge. Is it possible to re lace them with a lighter gauge like a 12g. Something easier to find?

I also bought a easy out so i can try and remove the front fender bolt.
IMAG0124-1.jpg

Columbia Newboy

Sure looks like a project you have there. Are you sure the bike is from 1963? Looks to be older than that. Not sure how corect you would like to go on the restoration, but I have used different gauge spokes with out any problems. On the seat rivet, try hitting an older hardware store for such things or post in parts wanted forum here on The Cabe. It's amazing what you can some times find at an old Mom & Pop hardware store, and the folks here are a great resorce. Good luck.

Nice bike for sure! I love those Columbias with the carrier built into the frame. If you post a serial number, Columbia bikes can be dated by them to check for sure on the year.

I actually just had a Schwinn with a fender bolt which broke in the fork. I tried an easy out but it shattered in there when I tried it. I had a helluva time drilling through that. From now on, I'll definitely just drill through and tap it the same or slightly larger size. That's just me though! Good luck either way; make sure to post pictures along the way and when it's done.

Also--welcome to the Cabe!

Ok so when i measured the spokes at .105" im going to guess thats .105 gauge or 12 gauge spokes. That makes things a lot easier. Not the 10 gauge mess i was thinking.
Ill post a serial # when i get it back from the sand blasting place tomorrow. Im not exactly sure on the year.

Last edited:
took Jpromo advice a ditched the easy out. I tried it for a little but i just knew if it tried any harder it was going to snap. So i set the fork on the drill press and drilled it out. Then i caught hold of the old thread and pulled it all out like a pig tail. Like new! Then i went to work on the rear wheel. I had about a half dozen or more spokes that would not come loose. I gave up and cut them off. Im going to try and order new spokes to morrow. I think they are 12 gauge by 10 5/8".

don't mess with rivets, use screws and nuts... no one will see them anyway. :cool:
and about the spokes... most wheels are build with 2mm spokes, they will fit on your wheels. it's not a bad idea to replace them all, once the rims are painted for a neater job (you don't want dirty, ugly and rusty spokes on a fully rebuild bike!).

my two cents. :)

Back