When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Hollywood

-

chuzz

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello Everyone, I'm a newbie and have a question. I recently was given a ladies 1963 26" Hollywood Schwinn. Now, I'm 62 years old and have been "tinkering" with bikes since I was a kid. This bike is unique to me as I've never owned or even seen one with the 2 speed "bump" axle and coaster brake. I'm in the process of cleaning up the old bike and want to keep it as original as possible. I have extra tubes that will fit, but the tires are extremely dry rotted and need replacing. I bought some 26x1.75 tires off Amazon and they WILL NOT fit these wheels. I have several bicycles with 26" tires on them and no matter what I've tried, NONE of them fit. Can anyone tell me where to find tires to fit this old beauty? It's a turquoise blue color with a LOT of patina to it and I'll be keeping it that way. I just want to take it apart, clean it up and replace the sprocket bearing and wheel bearings and give it to my wife to ride. She loves the bike and keeps asking when I'm going to put tires on it. Can anyone help me find new tires? Please.

Hello Everyone, I'm a newbie and have a question. I recently was given a ladies 1963 26" Hollywood Schwinn. Now, I'm 62 years old and have been "tinkering" with bikes since I was a kid. This bike is unique to me as I've never owned or even seen one with the 2 speed "bump" axle and coaster brake. I'm in the process of cleaning up the old bike and want to keep it as original as possible. I have extra tubes that will fit, but the tires are extremely dry rotted and need replacing. I bought some 26x1.75 tires off Amazon and they WILL NOT fit these wheels. I have several bicycles with 26" tires on them and no matter what I've tried, NONE of them fit. Can anyone tell me where to find tires to fit this old beauty? It's a turquoise blue color with a LOT of patina to it and I'll be keeping it that way. I just want to take it apart, clean it up and replace the sprocket bearing and wheel bearings and give it to my wife to ride. She loves the bike and keeps asking when I'm going to put tires on it. Can anyone help me find new tires? Please.

The tires for your bike are Schwinn Specific or proprietary. You need 26"X 1-3/4" tires For Schwinn S-7 Rims. The 1-3/4" and 1.75" are numerically the same but thats where it ends. Schwinn used a larger inside diameter tire for your bike (bead seat diameter) as its known. Look up Schwinn S-7 on Google or E-bay and You'll find your tires. Good luck......P.S....Schwinn did this with their Middleweight tires (yours) and their lightweight tires 1-3/8"

Last edited:
Thank you VERY MUCH. Once I find and get the tires, I'll try to post some pictures of it. I'm just going to use polishing compound on the paint to make it shine. I want to keep it as original as possible.

Thank you VERY MUCH. Once I find and get the tires, I'll try to post some pictures of it. I'm just going to use polishing compound on the paint to make it shine. I want to keep it as original as possible.
Dont use WINDEX on the chainguard or fork They are silkscreened and WINDEX removes them before your very eyes! lol!

Here is one of a few tires on the market for the Schwinn S-7 rims. Kenda makes two styles and this one is the larger of the two and the only Kenda I would recommend. Make note of the size. 26 x 2 x 1 3/4. Must have the 2 in the size for the larger/wider tire.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SunLite-S-...131510&hash=item3f5e2e5e6e:g:5J4AAOSw44BYlk3Y

Here is the other one I recommend, CST, distributed by Sunlite. Beefier tire compared to Kenda's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunlite-Ti...901211&hash=item5d7fb271ff:g:GuQAAOSwg0hbXj4n

Thanks for the links, guys. Unfortunately, everything is on hold right now. I've got a bad back and I've hurt it again. I can barely get up and down and have been using ice packs and heat pad for the past week. Still getting no relief. I borrowed a back brace from my son and HOPE it helps. I'm disabled and have a limited income which isn't very much. I'm trying my best to keep from going to the ER for a steroid shot as I don't have the $135 it will cost me. If I pay for that, I won't have money for tires. If I buy tires, I don't think I'll be able to put them on. Quite the conundrum, isn't it? I'd love to have the bike rideable within the next couple of weeks, but don't see that happening for now.

So, since I can't afford new tires for this Hollywood, I got the brilliant idea to swap the hub and spokes over to a conventional 26" rim since I have several spares. All went well except I forgot to take into account the fact that this 2 speed hub is a larger diameter. Soooooo, the frigging spokes are too long and protrude past the stop point on the spoke adjusters. It works, but the wheel is "wobbly". Today I think I'll run them out as far as I can to make sure the wheel is tight and take my grinder and grind off the excess and leave it at that. I'm not going to try to restore this bike. I'm just going to clean it up and see if the lady wants if back for a few bucks for my time and efforts. I have several bikes in my garage that are nice riders and NOBODY around here wants to ride a bike. Most folks in this neighborhood are older and retired and ride around in golf carts while drinking. I'm not a big drinker and as long as I can walk and ride a bike, I will NOT own a golf cart. I'm not that lazy.

Back