When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 JC Higgins Flightliner project

-

jimbo53

I live for the CABE
A good friend gave me this bike-he was the original owner, getting it for Christmas in 1963. When I was tearing the Bendix automatic to rebuild, there was even a small piece of Christmas tree tinsel wrapped up behind the sprocket! A free, all original and complete Deluxe Flightliner (with exception of missing headlight light lens and bulb assembly and rear tail light assembly). It doesn't get much better than that!

Here is what it looked like before the teardown:
IMG_2610.jpg

After teardown, all parts in the oxalic acid bath:
IMG_2749.jpg

Removing the clear coat was a pain, but that gleaming chrome is worth it!
IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

Waiting on tires so should have this old girl up and rolling by the weekend.

Last edited:
Finished her up yesterday. Since the red paint was toast, decided to paint it an elegant gloss black that compliments the chrome nicely. Never overhauled a Bendix Automatic 2 speed hub, but with the info found here on the Cabe, it was a piece of cake-just had to slow down and follow the directions.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

You'd think, as heavy as that clear coat is, that rust would never make it through! I stripped one w/a brass wire wheel in a drill, still, took a long time!

Back