When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Paramount.

-

RRH48

Look Ma, No Hands!
My 1963 Paramount. With the exception of the Brooks saddle and tires, I believe it’s all original. Thoughts or observations?

-----

Congratulations and a most handsome example indeed! ;)

Some of the fittings are clearly later than date given.

For 1963 original rear mech would have been Campag Gran Sport rather than Campag Nuovo Gran Sport.

The front mech appears it may be the correct model Record with a housing stop.

Chainset would have been most likely a Stronglight Competition cottered steel rather than the present Campag Gran Sport. Alternately, it could have been a Campagnolo Record model. The Campag Gran Sport chainset presently mounted launched about fifteen years later than stated date for the cycle.

The Cinelli model 1/A handlebar stem with the double allen did not exist in 1963. Likely machine would have come through with a Titan steel stem and bar set from Belgium.

The cycle's Campagnolo Nuovo Tipo hubs did not exist in 1963. They launched about five years later. Likely cycle would have come with Campagnolo Record model hubs.

From what can be seen of the bicycle's Weinmann centrepull brake calipers they are too late for a 1963 date. Correct ones would look like this -

The bicycle's Weinmann brake levers which exhibit relieving did not exist in 1963. Originals would have been unrelieved.

Unable to see pedals well enough in photo provided to determine model. Since chainset and rear mech are NGS pedals may be NGS also. NGS did not exist in 1963. If cycle's original pedals were Campag they would have been Record model.

Nothing at all wrong with any of the fittings worn by the bicycle. They are all fine stuff.

If you are going for period correct you would want to change out some of them...

-----

Nice. My '63 is ser. P39, made not long before yours. As far as I know the drive train is original, I had to track down the stem and handlebars and that was a pain. I have the correct button-release brake levers but haven't replaced the 1st gen versions with those yet. Lazy... I did take the trouble to get a provenance report from Waterford, if for nothing else but to have a doc with Richard Schwinn's signature. :)

IMG_20181223_111954.jpg

IMG_20181223_161717.jpg

Great looking Paramount! Thanks for the info. Curious what your drive train components are, apparently some of mine are newer than the bike.

Thanks! I was looking for years before I stumbled across one at a reasonable price - and chrome no less. Yours is a looker as is and it would be great to see it when you're done with it, whichever direction you go. As for mine, the full drive train is early gen Campag Record, that was all on the bike when I got it and research indicates it was original, being custom orders no doubt there are variations out there. The crank is 151 BCD, later Campy went to 144. Here are closeups of the bits:
IMG_20181223_161845.jpg

IMG_20181223_112028-SM.png

IMG_20181223_112044-SM.png

Back