When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Raleigh Colt 17” frame.

-

FICHT 150

Finally riding a big boys bike
My son rode this little 1963 Raleigh Colt for our English bike club rides, including the big one, around Lake Pepin, after he got it from another club member, when he was 6. He actually rode part of the Lake Pepin 3speed Tour when he was 5, on a little Trek mountain bike. He was insistent, at 6 years old, that the bike NOT be restored, just cleaned so he could use it as we got it.
Sometimes, your kid is the cool one.
I found a set of the short Raleigh crank arms, and used a 40 tooth sprocket front and a 19 rear. Perfect little person English touring bike.
He hasn’t fit the little bike in a few years. We had a neighbor who wanted to do the Tour this year, but, she wanted better brakes (smart girl) and I wanted it monkey proof, as I need fewer distractions on the ride, not more. I built new wheels with Sun CR-18 alloy rims, and put Panaracer Col de la Vie tires with new tubes on them. Tectro brakes and levers, alloy stem, Northroad bars, alloy seatpost, rebuildable alloy pedals, and a 1949 vintage ladies Brooks saddle. A new Carradice bag rounded out the updates.
All the original parts are still on hand, just in case. But, the bike is lighter, and stops so much better than before.
Susan didn’t complete the Tour, (it is most of 90 miles over two days, the way we do it) but, it wasn’t the bikes fault. She had fun, though.
Ted

27EB7E83-4269-4046-8395-CEBDBE213B9F.jpeg

38540758-6D88-450D-AA47-117FC5F27EDD.jpeg

04156EBE-6EC2-4E9D-B708-F4564CA59FE4.jpeg

Last edited:
Cool bike. I like modern upgrades that improve ridablility. It's good to keep the original parts too. Looks like a great place to ride as well!

Back