When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold 1963 Raleigh Rod Brake Roadster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
Zipcode

SirMike1983

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
For sale: 1963 Raleigh road brake roadster. Desirable 21-22 inch frame on 28 inch wheels. Three speed rear hub, dynohub front. Looks to be an "export" model based on the frame graphics. Bicycle had tires from West Germany and Austria when I got it, so possibly a model brought over from a continental market. Superbe green. Paint is in above-average shape, with some touch up over the years. Chrome is pretty good. Rims show honest wear from years of use. Saddle has surface crazing but is not broken. Has the classic tri-sprung roadster Brooks B73 saddle. Saddle frame has some light surface rust. Has the old style long crank arms. Chain guard is a period 1960s replacement. I will include a Raleigh re-painted chain guard if you want to swap to a Raleigh guard with export model graphic. Recent kenda 28 x 1 1/2 tires. Recent brake pads. Dynohub system and lights work properly. System has proper Reflectalite LED bulbs and current limiter. Front hub has a little surface rust but will clean up fine. Has working lock fork, comes with a key. Original aluminum pump and matching rear rack. Old, East German pedals. Recent shifter cable and cable housing. Celluloid handlebar grips. Just a nice, unusual old bike that was someone's commuter many years ago.

$350, local pick up in Litchfield, Connecticut

20220912_185231.jpg

20220912_185245.jpg

20220912_185305.jpg

20220912_185312.jpg

20220912_185317.jpg

20220912_185325.jpg

20220912_185335.jpg

20220912_185339.jpg

20220912_185356.jpg

20220912_185403.jpg

20220912_185410.jpg

20220912_185417.jpg

20220912_185426.jpg

20220912_185434.jpg

20220912_195133.jpg

This is a very nice example. I had a 1971 DL-1, but it was a 24" frame, and the typical black. I ended up giving it to another collector. I wish I had space to store this one! Good luck with your sale. Out of curiosity, when you say it has "proper Reflectalite LED bulbs", are those actually LED's? Is that some sort of modern upgrade? Surely LED technology wasn't around in 1963...was it?
Phil

That is a nice Roadster. There are 4 cluttering up my free space, 3 24” men’s versions and a 19” woman’s bike hanging from the rafters waiting to be gone through. I pondered getting a 22” men’s for my “adultryhood” as Foster Brooks used to say, but, decided when I’m old, I’ll just use the girls bike if I need a shorter frame. 24” fits today, but, I hear we all shrink a bit as the years go by!

Wish I was a buyer, I’m not, but, good luck with the sale.

Ted

This is a very nice example. I had a 1971 DL-1, but it was a 24" frame, and the typical black. I ended up giving it to another collector. I wish I had space to store this one! Good luck with your sale. Out of curiosity, when you say it has "proper Reflectalite LED bulbs", are those actually LED's? Is that some sort of modern upgrade? Surely LED technology wasn't around in 1963...was it?
Phil

The lamps are original. Reflectalites sells a kit where you can use LED bulbs in the original lamps. The kit includes the bulbs and a removable limiter that prevents the hub from blowing the bulbs at speeds above 15 mph. It is a reversible upgrade. To return to original, the bulbs are swapped back to original and the limiter is uncoupled from the terminals on the hub. That is the proper way to run original lamps with LED bulbs. There are cheaper ways of doing it, but often the bulbs will blow if the speed comes up too much. If someone doesn't want LED bulbs, I can set it back to original for the buyer. But the LEDs are sure nice to have on the roads today...

That is a nice Roadster. There are 4 cluttering up my free space, 3 24” men’s versions and a 19” woman’s bike hanging from the rafters waiting to be gone through. I pondered getting a 22” men’s for my “adultryhood” as Foster Brooks used to say, but, decided when I’m old, I’ll just use the girls bike if I need a shorter frame. 24” fits today, but, I hear we all shrink a bit as the years go by!

Wish I was a buyer, I’m not, but, good luck with the sale.

Ted

Thanks. I have the free space issue as well. And this one sort of gathers dust. I put more miles on the Sports and Sprite type bikes, a preference thing, I guess.

The drool is down to my socks. I would crawl there from Illinois but I have to refresh the Mrses. I could chew through my straps but my teeth are gone, except one in the back. That is a tip-top, Limey machine and it only cost as much as Big Macs for my brood. Those lucky people in Connecticut with their nice smell and trimmed bushes.

Bump - still for sale. And to make it even better, it will sell with a nice new set of MKS 3000S (no reflectors) pedals instead of the waffle blocks shown.

[Edit - never mind about the 3000S pedals, I found an original set of Raleigh pedals for it. It will be sold with the old Raleighs]

Last edited:
Back