When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 s7 rim front axle bolt is stripped on both ends What specific model would i need

-

jason morton

Finally riding a big boys bike
My front S7 rim's axle bolt is stripped on both ends. Is there anything i can do? If i have to buy a replacement. Then what specific model of front axle bolt do i need to be looking for??? The rims are for a 1963 Schwinn Deluxe American.:eek::eek::eek:

My front S7 rim's axle bolt is stripped on both ends. Is there anything i can do? If i have to buy a replacement. Then what specific model of front axle bolt do i need to be looking for??? The rims are for a 1963 Schwinn Deluxe American.:eek::eek::eek:

find a swap meet or a bike shop that deals in vintage Schwinn stuff.
To get the correct one, it has to be American made, some of the axels were made elsewhere but Americans had only american made parts

I have NOS kits like the ebay link above. Axle,cones,bearings, and nuts. Wald,Made in the USA.PM me if you are interested.

DONT FORGET some are SCHWINN APPROVED- no tsure when that started but Union and others made from hub pedals and misc for schwinn-experts?
If we had some way to measure it I may have one in the pile I will give ya free

DONT FORGET some are SCHWINN APPROVED- no tsure when that started but Union and others made from hub pedals and misc for schwinn-experts?
If we had some way to measure it I may have one in the pile I will give ya free

Most of the axles that I have pulled out of late 50's thru mid 60's hubs with the Schwinn script have Schwinn stamped on them. This indicates that Schwinn actually made these front axles. The other hubs like Atom, Union, Bendix etc may be a different story.

I believe those axles were metric thread, made by Union, but I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

I believe those axles were metric thread, made by Union, but I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

SAE 5/16-24 NF looks real close but it's not the metric 26 TPI that most Schwinns use.

I probably have a bunch of original ones, but Dale Alan's NOS ones sound good too.

Darcie

Back