When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Schwinn Superior

-

skydog

Look Ma, No Hands!
I know I've posted some pics of this bike here before, but it's the only vintage one I have. :( I don't have the time or space to pursue this hobby as much as I'd like so for now I have to limit myself to this one and my 1980 Continental. But I went riding yesterday and snapped a few pics when I got back.

IMG_3105.jpg
IMG_3108.jpg
IMG_3114.jpg
IMG_3115.jpg

Last edited:
Cool ride! I had enough time to accumulate a pile o'bikes, then suddenly had zero time to work on them, so I feel your pain!

I love the smoothness of the Superior frames. The Paramount had european-style lugs, which is fine, but I really the smooth lines of the Superior.

Noisy 15 Speed

Skydog.
Those stamped Huret chainrings suffered from less than perfect alignment and I think that's why Schwinn (or maybe it was Huret) dropped them. Most of the dealers did not want to fuss with them. I've seen a couple at swap meets and the out side edge of the low chain ring on both of them was worn to a frazzle. I can only guess that cross chaining was not something that Schwinn riders paid attention to back them. Also, the Huret front derailleurs were re-spaced doubles and high to low shifting could be erratic or difficult at times. The fact that you can get all 15 speeds to shift reliably is notable. All things considered though your early Superior is in fantastic shape and has a wonderful "cool factor".
When it's all said and done you can only ride one bike at a time. I own several nice Schwinn lightweights but it comes down to my '74 LeTour as the one I always seem to ride.

Have Fun;
Ventana

Thanks Ventana! I don't know about reliably though! As I said, some are "noisy". By that I mean chain noise as it's deciding which way it wants to go. The rings on this one are really good leading me to believe it was mainly used as a "5 speed" left on the large front chainring and then mostly shifted in the back. I've recabled/sheathed the entire bike and this coupled with a lot of fussing and tinkering/adjusting the derailleurs, I am able to get all 15 gears.

Sweet bike,Would like one in the large frame.I too have a '74 letour as my fav lightweight.

Skydog,

So happy to see that old gem sparkle again ! As you know this was a bike my Dad bought in Detroit brand new, when I was a year old. He is no longer with us but I am quite sure he is grinning down upon us knowing that a person as passionate as you is now enjoying his old ride as much as he did. Great work !! Cheers !

Back