When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Schwinn Traveler...Just Got It

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
@Schwinny If you look at the catalog page I put in, you can see it has the Starburst badge on it.

BTW, the chrome on the fenders is cleaning up beautifully!! 😀

I also remember those head badges are quite fragile and pop off easily.
One was crazed terribly and pieces stuck to the bike like gum in your hair but others dropped away. One popped off in my hand just touching it and the other was on the floor next to the bike the morning after I brought the bike home. Popped off by itself, probably from humidity change.
The ones in perfect condition are quite rare. Most I've seen are crazed or chipped up somehow.

There were two versions of the starburst head badge. The winged badge ran until '59/'60, with some '60s still showing up with a winged badge. In 1960 the first iteration starburst badge was used (shown on left). It has a raised silver border around the text and black infill. This badge style ran until sometime in 1961 and then you see the second style used. The second, and last version, (shown on right) has no silver border and the text looks more bold because there is more black infill. This style ran until 1963. Other than that minor stylistic change they are the exact same, and the starburst badge ran from 1960 - 1963. The first version (limited run) is harder to find but they turn up often (rare-ish yes, but they do pop up quite a bit and aren't all that difficult to find. Biggest issue is that you have to pay $$$ up for them).

Schwinn_Starburst.png
Copy-of-1960-04-Reporter-Starburst-badge-intro-Medium.jpg

Last edited:
@rennfaron Thanks for the update! I had no idea that there were two versions of the badge. Learn something new every day...except that either one is $$ to buy. 🙄

-----

1662252012105.png

-----

can just see the judges at a concours scrutinizing these and saying to a restorer -

"You have the wrong version of this badge. We must dock your entry X number of points." 😂

much like Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say -

-----

First time using Evapo-Rust... This is from sitting in it for 15 hours. 😍

Just dried them off, so they haven't even been cleaned up a bit more with 0000 steel wool and polished!! Chrome is so clean it's actually reflecting the texture of the paper towel!!! Amazing product.

IMG_1746.jpeg

IMG_1754.jpeg

IMG_1789.jpeg

IMG_1790.jpeg

Back