When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Schwinn Traveler...Just Got It

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The CLR is very caustic. The Evapo-Rust isn't, and won't even damage paint (or your skin!). 🙂

Evapo-Rust is good for small stuff, particularly small, chrome plated stuff. It will leave a sticky residue if left to dry, but rinses off fine. It is very expensive if you are trying to immersion soak a frame, handlebars, rims, etc. Be very careful with some of the older red paints and Evapo-Rust because it may turn them pink (also true of oxalic acid). If iron oxide pigment is used in the paint because it will leech out he iron oxide component, turn the red to pink. It will also soften/melt some of the older type water-slide decals. I love using it in a little dish on headset parts, bottom bracket parts, brake handles, brake calipers, etc. It also works very well if you want to remove rust from the inside of a set of handlebars (fill the insides and let it sit a couple hours, then pour out into a jar.

I don't use CLR on bikes and parts because Evapo-Rust works as a higher end solution for small stuff and oxalic acid is an effective and economical solution for larger parts and baths.

Your bike will probably clean up pretty well. I don't see anything particularly lethal on the surface, at least from what I can see.

Not that expensive for what it does...unless you're buying gallons of it...and the best prices are on Prime. 🙂

BUT...the time saved on cleaning smaller pieces (pedals, etc.) is worth every penny. It can be used over and over again, and I can be working on another part of the bike while the Evapo-Rust is doing its thing. When done, a quick rinse and a polish and it's finished.

Finally finished! A lot of the chrome came out better than I had dared hoped for. 🙂

IMG_1890.jpeg

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg

IMG_1894.jpeg

IMG_1895.jpeg

IMG_1875.jpeg

IMG_1885.jpeg

IMG_1877.jpeg

I have a soft spot in my heart for these early-mid sixties Travelers. Heavy as hell, but cool!
I had a Coppertone '63 or '64 as a kid.
The memory of it is what got me into this vintage bike thing.
Until I ran the inflation calculator on the price, I hadn't realized how much my grandparents had shelled out for that bike!
Not my bike, but mine was just like this one.

Now that I look at the photos blown up on my computer, I can see a lot of spots I missed that would have come off!! 🥺 Under the handlebars...side of the crank arm...etc. Back to the brass brush and Noxon polish! 😆

BTW, I stuffed the saddlebag with bubble wrap to fill it out for the photos. And yes @Eric Amlie , heavy and expensive in its day.

IMG_1896.jpeg

Quick question. Are the pedals the same size as on the boys model? To me they appear to be, but I'm not sure. 🤨

Back