When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Schwinn Traveler tall frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
Zipcode
Beautiful bike. These are so much better than the big box store bikes. I sure try to educate anyone that will listen on buying a vintage bike. Good luck with your sale.
Agree, and I try to write my CL posts to emphasize the quality of these vs. a modern imported bike, but even with that I get almost no interest when I sell a 60s/70s Schwinn lightweight. Women's frames are far worse. No matter what it is, you can't get more than $100 for a '60s/70s women's frame lightweight Schwinn around here. It could be like new, and no one would show interest. I had a '56 women's frame Racer with lots of cool parts (Schwinn script seat post, front hub, chubby oval grips, etc.) I bought it for $40 a few years ago, completely overhauled it, but it needed new tires. It had the originals, but they looked on the verge of a blowout, so I didn't feel I could sell the bike that way. New tires are $45 for a pair. I asked myself, am I going to get $85 for this bike just to break even? In the end I said NO, and donated the bike to a local community bike shop. They will put the new tires on it and sell it themselves. Here's the bike before I donated it.

Sure, I could have parted it out and made money, but I just can't do that and throw the frame away.

They are a lot more sought after on the SOCAL beach front , Florida and the Texas Coast as they make great fast cruisers where it's flat and for some reason people like vintage lightweights in these area's. Even geared they are quite heavy and slow compared to the modern hybrid city bike. I live on the Texas coast and love them, they're classic and super popular in the right crowd around here! The English 3 speeds are also popular, but I prefer the ride of the Chicago Schwinn steel. Great for running to the pub, exercise or a cruise along the waterfront. My favorite Schwinn LW city bikes are the 60s & 70s single speed Racer, Speedster, and 5 speed Collegiate & Suburban. I have posted several on various threads on here. Leaving for a ride now on my 71' Racer. 😎

Last edited:
I have a black 1964 Traveler in the same color, same size and all. It's a nice bike. I'd be trying to buy this one if I didn't already have a black tall frame Traveler. It's a very good deal.

Yup, we collectors/enthusiasts know what great, high quality bikes these are. BUT, the general public thinks buying a new bike from a big box store at the same (or higher) price is better because it's "new"! Bikes have come to be seen as disposable items to the general public. "Buy it new. When it breaks, throw it out." - like a lot of other items these days that cost even more (dishwashers, refrigerators, etc.)

An anecdotal story from a former LBS owner I know. He once told me a big box home improvement chain was giving away free bikes when you spent a certain amout of money many years back. His shop was less than a mile a way. He'd get people bringing these bikes in broken before they were even ridden - literally stuff fell off as they were leaving the store. Of course, the home center would not take them back or do anything to assist, but it was a "new" bike!

Yup, we collectors/enthusiasts know what great, high quality bikes these are. BUT, the general public thinks buying a new bike from a big box store at the same (or higher) price is better because it's "new"! Bikes have come to be seen as disposable items to the general public. "Buy it new. When it breaks, throw it out." - like a lot of other items these days that cost even more (dishwashers, refrigerators, etc.)

An anecdotal story from a former LBS owner I know. He once told me a big box home improvement chain was giving away free bikes when you spent a certain amout of money many years back. His shop was less than a mile a way. He'd get people bringing these bikes in broken before they were even ridden - literally stuff fell off as they were leaving the store. Of course, the home center would not take them back or do anything to assist, but it was a "new" bike!

I don't know if you ever watched the "BikeManForU" series on YouTube, but he was a bike shop owner on Long Island who kept getting big box store and internet discount bikes that would come in for repair. One big box modern "Schwinn" (Pacific/Schwinn) came in unused and straight from the box, but with a tear in the saddle. One of the wheels was out of true and when they went to true it, the rim actually snapped and broke open.

Back