When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Flamboyant Lime Varsity

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Maybe it was a fill in until these were finally received from the supplier? This is the first I've seen one of those. It is a nice looking piece.

View attachment 1666804

69 Collegiate on Rat Rods.

View attachment 1666805
Stem looks a lot like the early GB spearpoint stems from the uk.
Would not be surprised if there is a connection there somewhere

I just scored a beautiful Original 1964 Sprint derailleur.

It was advertised as a 66-67 derailleur, but the rivets suggest ‘64.

It’s tempting to upgrade the one on my above ‘64 Lime Varsity, but I’ll leave it as found for now.

IMG_7955.jpeg

IMG_7956.jpeg

IMG_7953.jpeg

IMG_7959.jpeg

IMG_7960.jpeg

IMG_7961.jpeg

IMG_7964.jpeg

Since this thread has been drug back out into the light...
That color is my second favorite, it is paint candy. I've got a 74 lime framed bike I ride often. Just Pretty.
About the stem tho. Pretty sure that's a PIVO stem.... the PIVO DEATH STEM ...:)
I heard the term several years ago and now working at the shop, have seen several on late 60s Schwinn sport versions. Both open and closed end. Some have "approved" and others not marked. Also have seen them on 60s and 70s Peugot and Motobecane.
The issue with them is that they are prone to crack in two right above the barrel split. I've seen it twice now as we break down 20- 30 bikes a week. But, I had a Cinelli come out broke exactly the same a few weeks ago. You can find other references to them as the death stem from Google. I imagine that happens from over tightening. Used to have a pic on my phone but I can't find it now, must have purged it.
A 21mm stem in a 22mm steerer might do that.

I think an AVA model was the one most commonly known as the "Death Stem", but Pivo shares the same fault of construction that leads to the possible failure.
There is a stress riser at the top of the slot where a crack can start. A small hole drilled at the top of the slots relieves the stress riser.
Photos are not mine. I've saved them from previous posts on the subject.

AVA death stem 1.jpg

Stem failure_1.jpg

Stem failure_3.jpg

I’m stoked as I just acquired a very hard to find (first design) 1964 Sprint front changer / chain guide #3842/E051.
This Original unit is in superior condition and is the same style that came on my F4 Lime Varsity.
Post #26 shows information pertaining to this first design ‘64 Sprint front changer.

IMG_5911.jpeg

IMG_8358.jpeg

IMG_8360.jpeg

IMG_8361.jpeg

IMG_8362.jpeg

IMG_8363.jpeg

IMG_8367.jpeg

IMG_8370.jpeg

IMG_8371.jpeg

IMG_8376.jpeg

IMG_8379.jpeg

IMG_8378.jpeg