When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 JC Higgins road bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

49autocycledeluxe

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
this one popped up on the San Francisco Bay Area Craigslist. I thought it was pretty cool.

-----

cycle is a Puch Bergmeister model wearing S&R marking

manufactured in the Styria/Puch plant located in Graz

final year for use of of J.C. Higgins name was nineteen and sixty-two

one thing to be aware of in working with these is that they have a steerer of 26.0mm OD which means their headsets are special

this specification is sometimes referred to in the trade as "Austrian size"

this example appears to be all original and happily not mucked with

the S&R item number for the product will begin with 503 which indicates a Styria product

-----

This one seems to be in amazing condition and appears completely original. I have a couple of these, my nicest one is missing the rear tool bag and pump. This is missing the pump, but even the bar tape, and cable housings appear to be original. Can’t quite make out from the pics, but the saddle should be an Assman. This one should be a 1962 as according to the Sears catalog the 61’s still came equipped with a front suicide shifter. They also didn’t come with the fenders and have large ornate wing nuts instead of the quick release levers. 61 had Simplex instead of Campy components. I think mine must be a late 61, because it has no fenders, has the wing nuts, and Campagnolo component. The hubs are Normandy instead of Campy. I believe the tubing is 531 Reynolds.

I just noticed the picture of the generator running on the tire shows a frame pump, where other pics there is a bottle cage there. when I saw the date of 1964 first thing I looked for was a suicide shifter. I never knew they sold a JC Higgins "10 speed racer"

being black I wonder if that was the original pump.. seems like it would have been silver or even chrome. the paint color , the chrome on the fork and frame and the cool fenders all add up to make it cool... being "JC Higgins" adds to that.

-----

afaik hubs were always Normandy Sport, regardless of model year

doubt there was ever any 531, its sure they would have been happy to trumpet its presence

have never seen a tubing transfer on one

there were Puch produced Sears bikes with 531 frames, they are another model

A Sears Austrian built 10 speed

here is a wonderful restoration thread by a fellow who found one put out for collection at the curb near his home; research led him to determine it a 1967, the front mech it came with is Record

he performed a beautiful job with both the restoration and with its documentation - a first time bicycle restorer no less!

---

synchronicity -

things seem to have a tendency to come together for no outwardly discernible reason

just a handful on miles west of the location for the CL offering at the beginning of thread there is yet another of these being worked on; this time by a volunteer at a bicycle co-op

the cycle has generated quite a lively, and ongoing, discussion over at BF -

-----

Back