When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 JC Higgins road bike

-
-----

cycle is a Puch Bergmeister model wearing S&R marking

manufactured in the Styria/Puch plant located in Graz

final year for use of of J.C. Higgins name was nineteen and sixty-two

one thing to be aware of in working with these is that they have a steerer of 26.0mm OD which means their headsets are special

this specification is sometimes referred to in the trade as "Austrian size"

this example appears to be all original and happily not mucked with

the S&R item number for the product will begin with 503 which indicates a Styria product

-----Hi juvela , I'm the guy (Ollie with the blue Bergmeister that was cut and welded into a girls bike.

Can one of you guys tell me about the front wheel , the diameter of the axle , a company that can replace my front wheel with its Huret Luxe wing nuts ?
This bike of mine needs a new front wheel. It rides no-hands like none other but gets the wobbles at low speed .
I can muscle in the 1984 Schwinn rim wheel (the axle into the fork) but I don't want to do that. I want the right axle.

XD
Can one of you guys tell me about the front wheel , the diameter of the axle , a company that can replace my front wheel with its Huret Luxe wing nuts ?
This bike of mine needs a new front wheel. It rides no-hands like none other but gets the wobbles at low speed .
I can muscle in the 1984 Schwinn rim wheel (the axle into the fork) but I don't want to do that. I want the right axle.
You should probably take the wheel to a bike shop to find out what's the matter with it.
Every part on these bikes have been out of production for 40+ years, there's no company to get replacements from.
The difference isn't your axle, it's the spacing of the lock nuts. Your old one is most likely set at 90mm whereas an 84' model is probably set at 100mm. There may be a thread pitch difference also.
If your wheel isn't repairable, you could post here in the wanted section. I'll bet there is a spare in someone's parts piles.

XD

You should probably take the wheel to a bike shop to find out what's the matter with it.
Every part on these bikes have been out of production for 40+ years, there's no company to get replacements from.
The difference isn't your axle, it's the spacing of the lock nuts. Your old one is most likely set at 90mm whereas an 84' model is probably set at 100mm. There may be a thread pitch difference also.
If your wheel isn't repairable, you could post here in the wanted section. I'll bet there is a spare in someone's parts piles.
I don't think his problem is spacing. It is axle diameter.
Ollie, Have you tried truing the original rim, or having it trued? If you don't mind not keeping it original, two flats can be filed on the axle next to the lock nuts to allow the fatter axle to slide into the fork's drop outs.

Back