When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Schwinn Continental Restoration.

-
I remember reading somewhere that at some point, Schwinn started putting gold flecks into their radiant paints which changed the appearance slightly. I'm thinking it was 1967, but don't quote me on it.
The color on the radiant paints also varies with how thickly it's applied. It keeps getting darker with additional coats. That may account for the variation that GTs58 speaks of.
This is the first I've heard of a difference between Coppertone and Radiant Coppertone.

I'm pretty much with the rest of the guys on just cleaning it up. And I'm somewhat in shock to see the old 1963 Atom 14-28 two prong freewheel on that puppy. 1964 was all Sprint stamped. You do have the 64 red button quick release brake levers and riveted Sprint tag on the rear derailleur though. I have a 1964 and 62 Continental and a 65 Varsity in Coppertone and the paint is definitely not the same color on any of the three. Not sure what year Pete had that Sting Ray Coppertone paint matched to but there were slight changes over the years.
Thanks for the interest GTs58. Your collection sounds very nice. So the paint is a big question. The only Schwinn approved paint I could find is for the Stingray called Coppertone. My Continental paint is Radiant Coppertone. There is a difference, as the Coppertone seems to have more of a yellowish hue, while the Radiant Coppertone looks darker and burnished. I'm definitely leaning towards just cleaning and polishing it up nicely. Looking a lot better already. One question I have for you is: The seat post is a European style post with an internal wedge, not the American style with the external, angled wedge, which seems odd. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the interest GTs58. Your collection sounds very nice. So the paint is a big question. The only Schwinn approved paint I could find is for the Stingray called Coppertone. My Continental paint is Radiant Coppertone. There is a difference, as the Coppertone seems to have more of a yellowish hue, while the Radiant Coppertone looks darker and burnished. I'm definitely leaning towards just cleaning and polishing it up nicely. Looking a lot better already. One question I have for you is: The seat post is a European style post with an internal wedge, not the American style with the external, angled wedge, which seems odd. Any thoughts on that?

The 64 Sting Rays and all the other Coppertone bikes including the Continental and Varsity that year were painted in Radiant Coppertone. The name Radiant was used until 1967 when they called it just Coppertone. In your other thread I said I'd be interested in what year color Coppertone Pete used to formulate that Sting Ray Coppertone. A buddy from the Schwinn forum restored a rare, only one known to exist, 1963 Corvette 5 speed and he used that Sting Ray Coppertone on his Corvette.

1563337728249.png

1563337768572.png

Here's link to his thread here on the Cabe. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/coppertone-corvette-5-speed-1963.144374/

My 64 Continental looks closer to my 62 Continental and way off next to my 65 Varsity. The 65 is more goldish and less copperish. ;)

62 Continental 007.JPG

65 Varsity
65 Varsity As Found 010.jpg

To answer your question on the seat post, all my bikes have the regular ole chromed post that cinched by the clamp on the seat tube. I have never seen one of these Schwinns with a wedged seat post.

The 64 Sting Rays and all the other Coppertone bikes including the Continental and Varsity that year were painted in Radiant Coppertone. The name Radiant was used until 1967 when they called it just Coppertone. In your other thread I said I'd be interested in what year color Coppertone Pete used to formulate that Sting Ray Coppertone. A buddy from the Schwinn forum restored a rare, only one known to exist, 1963 Corvette 5 speed and he used that Sting Ray Coppertone on his Corvette.

View attachment 1031460

View attachment 1031461

Here's link to his thread here on the Cabe. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/coppertone-corvette-5-speed-1963.144374/

My 64 Continental looks closer to my 62 Continental and way off next to my 65 Varsity. The 65 is more goldish and less copperish. ;)

View attachment 1031463

65 Varsity
View attachment 1031464

To answer your question on the seat post, all my bikes have the regular ole chromed post that cinched by the clamp on the seat tube. I have never seen one of these Schwinns with a wedged seat post.
Beautiful bikes! And that color is my favorite. I'm sorry, I got my question wrong. It's the handlebar stem that has the European wedge, not the seat post. The seat post is as you describe, with no wedge.

I always thought Coppertone was all the same but the color changed from the original candy to almost a orangy color depending on how much sun exposure it had. Never had any luck getting it back to the candy look if it had went to the orange look. Or maybe it was a different shade which would explain that.

Back