When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Schwinn Traveler 3-Speed

-
Thanks to you guys, I will never be able to "un-see" a wheel not centered within the fender.

Like most of my bright ideas, folks have already had the same thought, only yesterday. But here goes:
  • The picture makes things look like the "seat stay fender bracket" is the culprit. I realize when I try to fix this issue on my bikes there is hardly any room to raise this area but worth a try.
  • I have had a modicum of success spreading or narrowing the fender stays themselves to take up or release the radius they hold.
(yeah, I had to ask didn't I?)

I own a blue racer, seems close in age, not as nice, but has the nifty tear dropped shiftier too.

A half-link is where the Union chain would go next. Is there a particular half-link made today for the old-style roller chains? The ones I am finding are all the bushingless type.

The nickel SRAM chain looks nice for sure. I have some time to play around with it if need be. Riding season is probably done for 3 - 4 months.

Last edited:
Making decent progress. I still have to make a shifter cable, but the project is getting close to done. I also have to put the lights on. I have a couple retro LED lights I will be using that run on AAA batteries. I like how old lights look, but the output is just plain anemic compared to LED. So there are a couple of things left, but it is coming along nicely. I'm going with a B66 saddle instead of the original vinyl. The original is in pretty good shape, but I just find the B66 a more comfortable saddle.

U3ZY6za1dLq7_b_CRxzKBH_a3xDbFUNJTdsT-WvDuq4E=s3427.jpg

TA4SmiasFx5SMAwOIA8H8Ve36SnSWGqJBkN06GcHG101=s4032.jpg

uojx9paq78qhSZPMZQgsDoj0RNrzStrb-ePDX1uJQZhr=s4032.jpg

Pretty sweet.
I have been on a kick to convert all bulbs in my life to LED and just recently I got a pair of those cheap Chinese 3-LED headlamps (3-AAA) to put on one of my bikes and it got me looking around.
There are conversion bulbs to replace the old style in these bike headlamps and they are much brighter. You just have to match the base style. Most of them are wide range in that they will work using 3-12 volts.
I converted an old Miller dynamo headlamp to batteries and now I think I'll add an LED bulb too.
Heres a representtive bulb...

This project has been on somewhat of a hiatus, though it's almost done. I located a half-link so that I can re-visit the issue of whether or not I can re use the old chain.

And I think it may be worth revisiting the clamp I used on the tail light, maybe to go with something a little stouter. I'm converting most of my bikes to LED lights for the coming season. The lights I am using are Soma/Kiley torpedo headlights and Soma Silver Bullet tail lights. They're some of the better LED retro lights offered, but the stock mounting kits that come with them fall a little short. So I've been making my own clamps and adapting what I can use/make. The headlights have been straight forward to mount, but the tail light clamps I've made are trial and error things.

Back