When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Schwinn Twinn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

48cj2a

On Training Wheels
Hi,

I'm new to the Forum and not 100% sure where the best place to post this should be so Moderators please move as appropriate.

I recently purchased a rough but repairable 1964 April built Schwinn Twinn sn: D415178.

It had the hand bars swapped front to back and is missing the correct grips. Seats are not too bad, both tires were flat, pretty weather checked and cracked and tubes won't hold air. Its missing the front fender and the complete front hand brake from handle to caliper. Coaster brake seems to work well. Also the kick stand seems like its been extended too far so need some suggestions as to if this can be adjusted.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to a front fender and the front brake that may fit from another model. This won't be a restoration but would like to clean up and make a nice rider for the Mrs and I.

The front hand bars (mounted at the rear have some Schwinn Green Sparkle Grips that I would like to replace with two sets of the brighter Schwinn Blue Sparkle Grips unless this is no-no and they should be black.

Please help me with suggestions on the cheap and rider quality but original parts.

1964 Schwinn Twinn April snD415178.jpg

Bike serial number D415178.jpg

Hi,

I'm new to the Forum and not 100% sure where the best place to post this should be so Moderators please move as appropriate.

I recently purchased a rough but repairable 1964 April built Schwinn Twinn sn: D415178.

It had the hand bars swapped front to back and is missing the correct grips. Seats are not too bad, both tires were flat, pretty weather checked and cracked and tubes won't hold air. Its missing the front fender and the complete front hand brake from handle to caliper. Coaster brake seems to work well. Also the kick stand seems like its been extended too far so need some suggestions as to if this can be adjusted.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to a front fender and the front brake that may fit from another model. This won't be a restoration but would like to clean up and make a nice rider for the Mrs and I.

The front hand bars (mounted at the rear have some Schwinn Green Sparkle Grips that I would like to replace with two sets of the brighter Schwinn Blue Sparkle Grips unless this is no-no and they should be black.

Please help me with suggestions on the cheap and rider quality but original parts.

View attachment 1449339
View attachment 1449340

Welcome, tandems are great but can take some getting used to as far as riding with another. Any front fender from a middle weight will work. Even the girls bikes. The brake is the same also. The handle bars are switched and blue grips are fine. It is your biker and you get to make it any way you like.The kickstand will seem to long if tires are flat. The kickstand does a lot of work on those so it may need replacing. That I believe is specific to the tandem they are not adjustable but they can be rebuilt sometimes. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out. The rear wheel has a strange reflector it might not be original. It would be stamped schwinn S-7 on it near where the spokes enter the rim if you look. Good luck

All depending how original you wanna keep it. I started out with a '49 in rough condition. A heavy discounted off brand bike purchased new at a thrift store supplied new wheels and seat. Fenders....as other said, any 26" from a cruiser type bicycle should work. have fun with it

20190924_105040-1.jpg

Welcome and stay…..bill.
Don’t be afraid to customize… all correct and original is fantastic… but pricey and taxing!

Welcome!

I’d advise to either be patient and find another tandem for parts or some folks on here that probably have what you need, so just be persistent and ask nicely in the wanted fourm. Sure looks like a nice fairly easy project.

Also, beware and do your research….

Tandems have larger front axles so any front fender will work, but not the strut. With a step bit you might be able to enlarge a non tandem strut but there might not be a lot of meat left. And Tandems also have larger diameter shafts or stud or whatever it’s called. (Yours is still there). So beware. Look in period parts catalogs for the specifics. Any brake can be used, but originally they came with slightly beefier caliper brake. If you live anywhere where there is elevation change I’d be sure you brakes work well. These beasts don’t stop that fast at say 15mph and over.

Welcome to the CABE ! You will learn so much every time you "log-in". You have received great info. from your fellow CABERS . I would like to add that it is not unusual to find that someone has swapped out the correct wheels with the heavy- duty spokes, for ordinary wheels. As fattyre said-"beware and do your research". I look forward to seeing your bike after you've had time to work on it.

I got this from a co worker and havent done anything to it except move it from one

spot to another!

Having a hard time finding a front fender and brakes. Not a enough description in most of the Facebook MP and eBay ads.

Back