When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Schwinn Twinn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Anyone recommend a good quality affordable road tire?

For some reason some of the nipples on the rear rim had the spokes extended 3/16" past the surface. Hoping the spokes are not stretched on the original wheels.

Anyone recommend a good quality affordable road tire?

For some reason some of the nipples on the rear rim had the spokes extended 3/16" past the surface. Hoping the spokes are not stretched on the original wheels.

First check out what rims are on the bike. I can't assume they are factory original to the bike. These tandems used the Schwinn Tubular S-7 rims and that should be stamped on the rims in the center along the spoke line. These had 105 spokes that are a heavier gauge than the regular bikes. If the wheel sets are original to the bike then you'll know what your tire options will be and your front brake caliper.

If I remember correctly, my 69 tandem had this front caliper. Type MS 3.1. I parted out the bike years ago and the caliper is long gone.

I have two of the se - one is a "Bicycle Built For Two", The other is a Twinn. First is the '63 "trellis" model BBFT: (photo is from ad where I bought it! It's currently hanging on the wall in the storage shed')

Second is the '64 Twinn:

The rear rack has been adjusted since this photo qas taken a few years ago, and it looks "Mo Betta" now
REC

Last edited:
I found a front fender, two good Schwinn Westwind tires with tubes, front hand brake complete, and 4 Blue Sparkle hand grips. Paid more than I wanted too, and was supposed to get two rim spoke bands with the deal but they were not in the package.

Today I cleaned up the rust on the front rim, disassembled the axle and repacked the bearings, then reassembled it with a tire and tube.

The front rim seems to be too small to seat the tire bead. Upon cleaning the rim and hub it is not an original S-7 as I had hoped. The rim is stamped "CMC RIM" and the hub is stamped JOU YU 3 84. How do you determine the rims size...its like this in possibly "24" or 25" rather than 26".

CMC RIM.jpg

JOU YU 3 64.jpg

Space.jpg

Well that stinks. That rim is most likely a regular sized 26" rim that any 26" tire will fit other than the tires for the S-7. Is the rear rim a Schwinn or other?

So mixed wheel sets. You'll have to have mixed tires or change out one wheel.

Looks like all the wheel sets were changed out. A 1964 model would have the single center knurling with center stamped identification and a Red band hub. All tandems had heavy duty spokes. 1964 was also the first year for the Twinn.

1629656267278.png

Back