When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Stingray

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm not sure if it's the lighting in the pictures, but this looks like a Terra Cotta bike to me. If it is, it's a pretty rare find. vastingray could probably weigh in on this with a value and the rarity of it. The parts that are wrong on it are valuable themselves, like the yellow oval slik and fenders. It should have a solo-polo saddle, no fenders and a blackwall Westwind up front and a Stingray blackwall knobby on the rear. Nice find!

I now agree with the above on color. Does look more like Terra Cotta on my computer. I was looking on my phone before. Does look different now.

This topic (Terra Cotta verses Red) continues to come up every time a late ‘64 faded Red shows up.
Pull the head badge and have a look.

If this bike is an H4, it should be Red, as Terra Cotta was dropped as a color option in April 64 as shown in the Schwinn Reporter.

The first version of the ‘64 sales brochure shows Terra Cotta.
The second version of this brochure shows Red, but not TC because it was replaced.

This topic (Terra Cotta verses Red) continues to come up every time a late ‘64 faded Red shows up.
Pull the head badge and have a look.

If this bike is an H4, it should be Red, as Terra Cotta was dropped as a color option in April 64 as shown in the Schwinn Reporter.

The first version of the ‘64 sales brochure shows Terra Cotta.
The second version of this brochure shows Red, but not TC because it was replaced.View attachment 1433349
View attachment 1433350
Makes sense when it is pointed out. Although to my eyes if it is faded red it looks to be pretty evenly faded.

With Schwinn and their news letters, Reporters and other literature, you still don't know what is actually fact. There is a bike that's posted here on the Cabe that is a 1955 model or build and this model was said by Schwinn to be discontinued after the 1953 model year!! So, anything is possible including an August Terra Cotta Sting Ray. That Ray looks to be Terra Cotta and not a faded F. Red on my screen and I have examples of both colors. If the person looking at it in person knows the difference between TC an FR, then I'd have to believe them simply because I've seen too many situations such as this. How many of these impossible Terra Cotta Rays have shown up and then blown off as faded Flamboyant Red pieces? We know now that Schwinn did produce some Black Rays but there is no mention of that fact, that I have seen, so many were thought to be fakes years ago. So the TC color was not an option after a said date, but that doesn't mean there were no Rays ever painted that color at any later time, and the paint was still being shot on other 1964 models plus it was an option on the Paramounts for years after 1964.

Back