When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 balloon tire Schwinn ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

King Louie

Finally riding a big boys bike
I just p/u a sturmey archer 3 speed coaster brake dated 64 12 on a S-2 rim , what model balloon tired bike was still in production then in the mid 60s

The Cycle Truck is the only model in 65 with S-2's as far as I know. The last ballooner the Wasp had it's last model year in 1964.

May of been a late 64 wasp , I believe cycle trucks had heavier gauge spokes , thx

Last edited:
I wonder is someone built that wheel up. Looks like 4 cross and during those days most all Schwinn's were laced 3 cross. The hub is dated to late for a Wasp. The hub probably didn't hit the States until sometime in January 65.

I wouldn't think they would be custom ordering any wasps in late 1964, since they were being phased out and being replaced with the heavy-duti. But if a dealer was trying to sell the last of their wasp inventory and someone wanted a 3 speed one the dealer would build that wheel for someone, gotta make the sale!

I wouldn't think they would be custom ordering any wasps in late 1964, since they were being phased out and being replaced with the heavy-duti. But if a dealer was trying to sell the last of their wasp inventory and someone wanted a 3 speed one the dealer would build that wheel for someone, gotta make the sale!
That sounds possible , shades of the 54 & 55 Jaguars lol , thx

Back