When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 black schwinn stingray deluxe

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm going insane trying to figure out if the black stingray 1965 is a myth or a dealer hack!? I've been told no there is no black stingray from 1965. Only colorful ones. I've been told my grandpa's 1965 black schwinn stingray is not an all original stingray but a typhoon with stingray guard. And late 70's seat. Does anyone on here know if the myth is real? Is it possible to have a so called very rare black 1965 all original stingray? Am I going to give my grandpa bad news or are we in possession of something schwinn enthusiast say doesn't exist? Some say there were only 5 or 6 made and others say its not true never happened from a schwinn manufacturer. Only by dealers who converted the typhoon and put stingray parts on. Please someone help me figure this out!
received_1539210339477172.jpeg
received_1539209109477295.jpeg

received_1539208769477329.jpeg

My 1965 Black Deluxe.jpg
The Black Stingrays.

They are real. I researched these Black Stingrays as far as I could after I bought mine on Jan. 11, 2005. It seems most of them ( I knew of about 5 or 6 at the time) came out of Tulsa, Oklahoma area.
I spoke to an old Schwinn dealer friend of mine back then and he recalled Schwinn doing a "consumer survey" in certain stores down south on the Black Stingrays.
Remember, Schwinn tried the Black Stingrays again with the 66 Fastbacks.

My Deluxe came with the 2 speed blue band kick-back rear hub and front caliper brake. Dated CA***** March 10, 1965.
Fork is dated 3+5
Crank is SA-1-65

Chris.

My 1965 Black Deluxe (3).jpg

My 1965 Black Deluxe (6).jpg

My 1965 Black Deluxe (7).jpg

My 1965 Black Deluxe (9).jpg

My Original CA 2spd. License-1.jpg

WOAH, I take back what I said in the thread that Stingrays didn't quite look right in black. I said they had to be the flamboyant colors. This bike is gorgeous. You converted me. What a beauty.

I was able to get the one pictured here from Rat Daddy. It is almost done,I cleaned it to within an inch of it's life.It is a little rougher than I would normally have,but I am just 100% stoked to have it. Has a gold Deep Tufted Accessory Seat on it,which goes with the faded silver-glo grips and flag valve covers. I even have an old gold metalflake cable for the front. I will post pix when it is complete,but here it is for now. If anyone has an original paint guard,please stand up...
DSCN3358.JPG
DSCN3359.JPG

I'm going insane trying to figure out if the black stingray 1965 is a myth or a dealer hack!? I've been told no there is no black stingray from 1965. Only colorful ones. I've been told my grandpa's 1965 black schwinn stingray is not an all original stingray but a typhoon with stingray guard. And late 70's seat. Does anyone on here know if the myth is real? Is it possible to have a so called very rare black 1965 all original stingray? Am I going to give my grandpa bad news or are we in possession of something schwinn enthusiast say doesn't exist? Some say there were only 5 or 6 made and others say its not true never happened from a schwinn manufacturer. Only by dealers who converted the typhoon and put stingray parts on. Please someone help me figure this out!View attachment 656559 View attachment 656560

View attachment 656561

I'll have to say that there were some Black Sting Rays produced but Grandpa's example appears to have been a Typhoon that was somewhat converted. All Sting Rays had the chrome fork crown and chrome S-2's. The regular Typhoon came with enameled S-2's and neither regular or deluxe had a chrome fork crown. Grandpa's bike is missing the Schwinn Quality decal on the seat tube and fork darts for some reason but has the other markings in good condition.

Last edited:
I am looking for a original paint black Stingray bicycle. I have a original paint red Superb Deluxe Stingray and some cash to trade toward it. Call (419) 566-8401

I am looking for a original factory black paint Stingray bicycle. I have a original paint red Super Deluxe Stingray and some cash to trade for it. Call (419) 566-8401 or e-mal to [email protected]

Back