When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Schwinn Collegiate 5 speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Siestabikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
My lastest find. I prefer the ride of the skinnier tires compared to middle weight tires so i may keep this one. I may need a little taller stem for optimum comfort. are my only options newer aftermarket or was there a period correct riser stem available

20190611_194230.jpg

20190611_194247.jpg

Super long was the Cycle Truck stem, part number 7545. After market pieces today are all made in China from what I've seen. Schwinn stems and steer tube ID changed in 1966 so make sure you find one with the correct OD.

Im futzing with the tires on the Collegiate today. i have a pile of new kenda 597's and none will seat properly...2 rim strips, spraying the tire bead. any tricks to them to seat. id rather use black tires than the gumwall schwinns in the picture

Clean the inside and the beat seat of the rim with a wire brush. Old tire rubber loves to stick in there and keep the tire from sliding into the seat. Once that's clean and smooth, overinflate the tube to get the bead to pop into place. Slightly deflate and lube with soapy water if necessary in spots that wont pop in.

I found a good condition Schwinn rear tire and a narrow front in my stash. seating is still a problem but i have not tried the above method yet. the rack is most likely European but i need to drill a higher vertical hole to level it off a bit. the taller stem fits nicely and doesnt detract too much. also, I added 2 links to the chain. im not crazy about the ride so i may revisit the original gumwalls

20190618_193356.jpg

Last edited:
Back