When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Schwinn Heavy Duti King Size

-
Last Sunday I plopped down on the couch and lazily perused eBay for a few favorite search terms. To my surprise, I stumbled upon a mislabeled auction with an instantly recognizable thumbnail.

Being a fan of these bikes, I knew I should make an attempt to get it. The seller’s BIN was reasonable enough but the bike budget is always minimal for surprise bikes I don’t need. Plus my wife was on the couch with me!

The seller accepted my offer within a half hour and the bike arrived Wednesday. I was a bit dismayed that the bike was boxed with ZERO wrapping or protection - loose parts rubbing and clanking against each other from Ohio to Iowa, oh brother...

Today was tear down. It went about as good as it could have. As always, the rear fender hardware is about the biggest bugger. Parts went into Evaporust and I’ll being cleaning and waxing the paint.

Stay tuned!

EE246457-AB2A-4498-AF70-50C8B8AE73C3.jpeg

E74BE6A6-C895-4ABA-9357-9DE447198D5D.jpeg

AEF483BC-6F40-4721-A49E-93F59E116395.png

Last edited:
More progress this morning. Cleaned the BB cups in situ, pounded out the headset cups and placed parts in Evaporust.

Also began to try to clean up the paint. Has a weird dust on it. Being from the rust belt, I can only imagine what was in the air over there...

Always a nice start to the workweek with bearings in gas and parts in Evaporust - let them do the work while you’re at work!

77A4FD23-44E4-489A-8CE3-7813088D5381.jpeg

1E48FFEE-EBE9-42CE-A800-CEE3FDD7A150.jpeg

It's been slow going on this one, more focused on other projects! My local Schwinn shop is wonderful, they rebuilt the rear hub with newer components and it's silky smooth. They also had a 12 ga. long nipple in stock to replace the broken one.

I sourced a correct Union chain, nice Union pedals, a rider quality seat to preserve the original and a NOS rear fender reflector.

Next up I'll need to get some spokes tensioned up front and get the rest back together. I was going to detail this one up nicely but now that it's warm here, I just want to get it on the road sooner than later.

IMG_9104.jpg

Back