When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Schwinn Heavy Duti King Size

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sworley

I live for the CABE
I recently acquired this bike out of a central Iowa barn. The seller had 5 bikes (4 Schwinns and one CWC) that he got from his uncle but I was only interested in this one.

I was glad I inquired for more pictures as the original ad had one photo and was taken from a perspective that by about the 3rd bike, you couldn't tell what was back there. I just had to know what else he had as it appeared all were men's cantilever frames. When I got the texts of the individual bikes in daylight I was elated that one of those cantilevers was a King Size. I told him I'd come that night and buy at least one.

Thankfully he was willing to sell bikes separately and I also picked up a '57 Hornet from him for $125 each. I didn't make a dime on the Hornet when I resold it but felt bad only buying one bike off of him as I think he wanted to sell the five as a lot. The others were an uninteresting Typhoon, a heavyweight skiptooth Schwinn repainted and missing all the cool bits and the CWC.

The pic below is from after I washed the barn grime off. I already have new tires and a correct rear reflector coming for it. The plan is to go through it this winter and add it to my collection.

Luckily this looks to be in decent, straight condition and should be easy to get back into good shape. Has the correct CT forged crank, extra welds and original parts sans seat. The Sturmey Archer S3C must've been added later as it appears to have a 79 date stamp. I wish it had the Bendix red band still but at least they re-used the S7 rim and thick gauge spokes...

thumbnail_IMG_3063.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3067.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3068.jpg

Beauty ride!
So King Size is a taller frame with a taller head tube? Is that only on a Heavy Duti? Or various models? I was not aware of those.
It seems (and I am just learning) there are quite a few models of Schwinn from the 50's through the 60's that are very similar. All based off the cantilever frame? Just accessories and trim changes?
A Corvette, is a Typhoon, is a Hornet, is a Cruiser, is a Heavy Duti??? The frames look near identical. Sorry if its a dumb question as I am merely trying to learn Schwinn better.
My Schwinn knowledge stops at Sting Ray, Suburban & Paramount of which were in my family & friends circle back in the day.

Is there a link to all, or many of the Schwinn models through these Chicago Schwinn years?? TIA

Beauty ride!
So King Size is a taller frame with a taller head tube? Is that only on a Heavy Duti? Or various models? I was not aware of those.
It seems (and I am just learning) there are quite a few models of Schwinn from the 50's through the 60's that are very similar. All based off the cantilever frame? Just accessories and trim changes?
A Corvette, is a Typhoon, is a Hornet, is a Cruiser, is a Heavy Duti??? The frames look near identical. Sorry if its a dumb question as I am merely trying to learn Schwinn better.
My Schwinn knowledge stops at Sting Ray, Suburban & Paramount of which were in my family & friends circle back in the day.

Is there a link to all, or many of the Schwinn models through these Chicago Schwinn years?? TIA

Use this link for the Schwinn catalog scans. https://waterfordbikes.com/schwinn-catalog-scans/

Thanks sworley, you are clearing it up, thanks.
And then are the middleweight and heavyweight Schwinns with only tires width differences? Or is there more?
I gotta ask the questions to clear out my fog! lol
Anyway, your Heavy Duti is bad ass. I love the 3 speed coaster. My Corvette is 3 spd freewheel, which for me puts too many cables on the bike having caliper brakes.

You bet! Middleweights used the 26x1 3/4 (S7) wheels and heavyweights used 26x2.125 (S2) wheels. There were some other differences over the years but that’s about the biggest one. Many models were offered as both over the years and the transition to middleweights began around 1956, 1957 for many Schwinn models.

You bet! Middleweights used the 26x1 3/4 (S7) wheels and heavyweights used 26x2.125 (S2) wheels. There were some other differences over the years but that’s about the biggest one. Many models were offered as both over the years and the transition to middleweights began around 1956, 1957 for many Schwinn models.

Don't forget to mention the frames were different between the middleweights and Balloon models. The rear stays and forks were wider on the balloon models

Back