When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Schwinn Heavy Duti King Size

-
Thanks for the motivation guys. Got the tire a little more balanced which helped. I had a slightly cleaner chain off a parts bike and got it squeezed on. It’s all a tight fit with that wheel position but I think it’ll be workable.

2358516E-AEF5-4876-8D5F-1A0EE7D3F217.jpeg

Thanks, no the next step is to take it downtown and have the bike shop clean/service the hub and hook up the 3 speed junk.
Just out of curiosity, what does your bike shop charge an hour? I might start up a small shop my self and trying to figure out a fair hourly rate. Good luck with your service. Happy Hollidays. Razin.

You might check and see if your chain is worn out. What rear hub do you have and how many teeth?

My Speedster is 2 speed kickback, 18 teeth, and has the same chainring you have. With a new chain, depending where you cut it, the axle can be either almost out the front of the dropout, or almost all the way back. Anything else requires a half link. I seriously doubt the factory screwed with half links much if any.

It turns out the axle should be way forward. Apparently Schwinn intended it like that. There was a thread recently about a Corvette, derailleur equipped, and it turns out that the axle winds up way forward like that, and on a derailleur bike you don't have to slide to tension the chain. Since then I have been paying attention to Schwinn middleweights when people post their serial numbers. On 1-2-3 speeds the old marks made by the axle washer are always way forward. There could be exceptions, but so far its been 100% since I have been watching.

You might just need a new chain and possibly one less link.

EDIT: 67 Panther from another CABE thread:

View attachment 1321835

That is actually the right answer!

The shop did a magnificent job dialing in the 3 speed hub and installing a new shifter, cable and housing. It rides really nicely but the 3 speed needs to be shifted gently and patiently.

I was hoping I'd have the ability to install one of those big double baskets for quick grocery and beer runs but the 3 speed hardware on the rear axle kind of prevents that. Bummer. Would entertain trading out this rear wheel for a Bendix red band coaster equivalent!

I will give it one last detailing clean up job, try to seat the front tire better and it should be wrapped up!

thumbnail_IMG_3238.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3239.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3240.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3241.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3242.jpg

I must say, I never would've thought I'd like this 3 speed hub but it's great! Can't stop riding this thing!

First is low enough to get this heavy bike rolling, even spiritedly, and from there second is a nice change of pace. Third is like a downhill with a tailwind kinda gear on these, I feel. Yep, I think this bike's a keeper.

Now to see if I can get an axle mount double basket to work with this like @Double straightup has on his cool King Size!

thumbnail_IMG_3251.jpg

Back