When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Schwinn Typhoon Restomod

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TequilaMockingbird

Look Ma, No Hands!
Is it wrong to have more than one project bike going at once? Good, because here’s my third. I was looking for a completely trashed bike that was complete and largely dent free and I found it 100 miles away just north of the Tappan Zee/ Gov. Cuomo bridge in NY. I made the trip worthwhile by walking the bridge path which I can highly recommend. Actually, the bike made the trip worthwhile all by itself. The plan is strip it down to the frame, powder coat the frame, fork, chain guard and fenders, rebuild the Bendix redline coaster and front hubs and hunt up some replacements for the rims, seat and handlebars that were chrome plated brown air. Goal is not to bring it back to showroom, but to make it look really hot in a retro way: candy apple/black cherry red with flat black components, since the chrome won’t clean up. I’m leaving the hubs and the chain wheel/crank chrome since those cleaned up beautifully. Bought a white Typhoon decal set. The big 5 parts are off at the powder coater and everything else is either soaking in mineral spirits or Evaporust. Wish me luck.

E2B7F254-7085-4820-97EF-D59E94C89770.jpeg

Frame, fork and chain guard back from powder coater. Color is a very dark candy apple red called “Illusion Cherry.” Bottom of the front fender was rusted through, unfortunately. My plan is to lay up a layer of fiberglass and epoxy on the inside of the fender and sand flush anything that bleeds through to the other side, then skin it with Bondo if necessary. As to paint color, I won’t be able to match the frame with a rattle can so I’m going to have to paint them an accent color. Leaning towards flat black. Any opinions?

1F95F0B0-F72A-44EB-8F69-E4521A4F8F84.jpeg

AEFECA2C-9E2B-476B-88F7-4068114FC297.jpeg

Cool color, and definitely no to Flat Black. 💩………………………… Medium Gray metallic is what you want on the fenders.

View attachment 1797610
Kind of a tangent, but that place does cars really Halfass wouldn’t recommend buying from them given their prices and experiences from working on cars people bought from there. Big time lick and slick jobs so they look great, but are really really crappy cars underneath all the layers of paint and bondo. They’ll look good for maybe 5 years, but only on the outside. Just look at the front fender on this car vs the doors and quarters. Notice any color differences? I sure do. Lick and slick. Front end was wrecked, so they blew a close color paint over a different front end and put it on. Open the door jambs, they’ll look like crap guaranteed.

Kind of a tangent, but that place does cars really Halfass wouldn’t recommend buying from them given their prices and experiences from working on cars people bought from there. Big time lick and slick jobs so they look great, but are really really crappy cars underneath all the layers of paint and bondo. They’ll look good for maybe 5 years, but only on the outside. Just look at the front fender on this car vs the doors and quarters. Notice any color differences? I sure do. Lick and slick. Front end was wrecked, so they blew a close color paint over a different front end and put it on. Open the door jambs, they’ll look like crap guaranteed.
I saw the same thing regarding the front panel. I initially thought, "It's just my eyes so early in the morning." Then reality struck: "dang, they sure screwed up a beautiful car!"

Back