When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Violet Collegiate

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

marching_out

Finally riding a big boys bike
So I picked this up from @Huntingtonbikeguru and thought I was just going to build it back up to original. I found two other Collegiates in short time and stashed them away as parts bikes. However, I've had these S-5's with the yellow band two speed for several years. I'm thinking I'm going to build this up as a resto-mod and see what it looks like. Not sure if the two speed is functional so that may make my decision for me. This is going to be a winter project so progress will be slow.

-----

Thank you for sharing this project!

The Violet colour really makes it fun. 😉

Suspect the brake levers shown on the Violet may be slightly late for it.

Others more knowledgeable shall know for sure.

-----

Yes, the bars and levers are from a '77 Schwinn. Suburban maybe? I just threw them on to get and idea for the look of everything.

I love the color! If I can find a Suburban or Collegiate or something in that color, that will probably be my next bike purchase.

Slow progress. Been too cold in my workspace. Cleaning frame with WD40 and 0000 steel wool. Works great. Had to go slow on the silver spray bomb on the top tube. Unfortunately someone had take corse steel wool to it previously. About as good as it's going to get. Hopefully spend some more time on it tomorrow.

tempImagepTkEa4.jpg

tempImagetBd0IZ.jpg

tempImage8YpSWp.jpg

tempImage7jZFNx.jpg

tempImagePEudFJ.jpg

tempImage2Z7jjE.jpg

tempImageaECyWl.jpg

tempImageUI869C.jpg

tempImagegaLKNO.jpg

tempImagebnhnU6.jpg

tempImageZyROeP.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots of the frame details! I saw a Schwinn video the other day that had a short clip of the chain stays being welded to the BB. It was strange, it looked like the rear frame clamping jig moved forward and jammed the chain stays with a tapered ends into the BB shell, then sparks everywhere. Looking at your picture it does look like the stays went inside the nubs on the BB shell. That's completely opposite of how Schwinn was doing it in 1945 and later.

tempimage8ypswp-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Got this violet 1967 model in 2011 locally on eBay before prices went ape sh**.
All it was, was a little dirty. I detailed it up to what you see here. After I took this picture I mounted a Soubitez/ Schwinn Approved block generator light to the front fork, and that is the way I have it now..

1967 Collegiate in Violet.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

Last edited:
Back