When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Violet Collegiate

-
You’ll most likely have to flip that chain ring around so the concave side is facing out. Little thing I learned with my 66 violet collegiate 5 speed… it’s flipped for chain alignment purposes. Doesn’t look as pretty but I ain’t gunna argue with what the old girl wants 😂

You guys beat me to the punch. I thought I had read somewhere on the site that the chainring had to be flipped. I was going to ask one more time before putting things back together.

Started putting some parts back on the frame to clear off my limited workspace.
IMG_7906.jpeg

IMG_7907.jpeg

IMG_7908.jpeg

But you have the chain ring on inside out. Seriously, no joke. All 5 speed bikes have the dish to the outside including the 1st one Schwinn built, the Corvette 5.

Last edited:
You have the chainring on backwards, like everyone else is saying. Flip it around before you go any farther with assembly. I believe you will have chain clearance issues when shifting gears if you don't.

Back