When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Dlx Racer Coaster find

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Interesting. I'm finding that the aluminum-green paint on the 1949/50 Superior is quite brittle. When I installed a couple of the cable clamps over the weekend, I noticed that the paint actually flaked off when the clamp when on. There was no sign of rust under the paint where it flaked. I've got a little bottle of mixed paint that matches the green now that I keep nearby because the aluminum-green color is not as durable, I guess.

That may be part of the cause on some examples but it's not the main issue on my two 63's. Between the two shifters I gently rubbed the paint with one finger and it just rubbed right off like granules of fine sugar. The color coat is totally burned out from the UV rays.
GTS, you know I'm a little south of you, and its a little hotter up there in the jungle than here, but that is exactly what I've found. People from other places around the country haven't had the experience of a hot iron on their head.
The sun baked that paint off, there is no doubt.( I dont mean your bikes when young)
I find MANY that way. It is worse on the aluminum base colors but they all do that. I found a deluxe racer on the south side of a barn in Aho, Az. a few yers back and I thought it was silver at first. Couldn't se ANY color on the bike until I flipped it over. It was originally the Lime color. AND a lot of the chrome was flaked and chipped off too. Very little rust at all. bummed me out too, because when was the last time you saw a Lime green 68' Racer? unheard of. It had to have been a special order or something. I brought that bike back to life as a black deluxe racer and it was PERFECT. Then it was stolen in Florida last year.
But I digress....
Arizona makes parts bikes if you leave them outside.
Heres one I found not long ago

Last edited:
Back